To clarify, I'm not in this position, but wish I was!
Let's pretend someone financed a 150,000 house with an FHA loan. After 3 years they owe ~147,000 and the house has appreciated to 300,000. Now let's say this person inherits, makes, finds, etc 147,000 and they want to make the most out of it.
- Keep paying their mortgage for another 27 years, or until they move and invest the 147,000 in real estate.
- Pay off their mortgage and take out a HELOC. Some banks will loan up to 90% LTV. PenFed will loan up to 85% LTV and require interest only payments for 10 years. This person will now have a line of credit for $255,000 and won't be paying a mortgage.
Seems like a good idea to me. Worth it?
till the housing market crashes and the HELOC comes due and you lose your equity. Option B) do a cash out REFI and start investing... You could do delayed financing to spice things up a bit.
@Matt K. Could you explain a lot delayed financing please ?
Originally posted by @Yiftach Ilyov :
Matt K. Could you explain a lot delayed financing please ?
Buy property cash and then up to 6 mo later (verfiy exact limit with lender) you can get a loan.
So example would be:
80k purchase, 100k value. You could finance 100% of house through delayed financing. If you had used loan it'd be based off purchase price.
Now more realistic example would be forced appreciation through rehab. So something like 80k house, 20k rehab, 130k value. Same idea you're getting 80% of 130k out.
If you buy with a loan everything is based off purchase price and then you have seasoning of 6-12 mo before you can do a cash out refi. So even if you got the best deal in the world you'd potentially have to wait up to a year before you could do a cash out refi.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing