Possible property in Alabama

9 Replies

What is the market like in Madison County, Huntsville, AL?

3 bedroom, 2 bath, built in 1965

I don't think I understand the question.  Are you asking about the overall market, or a property in a specific area?  They are good areas and not so good areas.  That property could be valued very differently depending on where it sits.  Can you give some more info?  

HI. Thanks for reaching out.

The house is in huntsville, Al. When I look up the tax assessor information(Madison County ***. Info) the  neighborhood is Kingwood HIlls (2/ subd)

The owner has it paid of, they want 95000 for it. I am trying to figure out the numbers. Im kinda coming up with nothing.

I am wondering Are people trying buying to flip, are people buying to own? 

Because the values for the homes in there have gone down down down every year, since 2010.

Is it ghetto? 

I guess Im trying to reach out, and someone that lives there can tell me what they see

When I try to look up comp.s for it, I see some random sales above 100k but mostly everything is mid 90 to high 80's.

Here is the address 4700 grantland dr, NW. Take a look, what do you think?

Hi Jerry, I personally don't buy in that area. If I did buy, I would be more likely to do a flip in that neighborhood than a rental.  I'm not seeing much development going on in that side of town to keep property values up.

Good morning. Thank you Mr. White for telling me that. 

@John White What areas of Huntsville do you recommend for buy and hold?  As in, what areas are on the up and what areas are depressed?  Thanks for your input!

I second @John White on that. Madison and the medical district around Huntsville hospital is where I would recommend. The first has the best schools popular with families and the second is a high growth area being revitalized. Best wishes.

@Brian Reynolds I like anywhere in Madison and most neighborhoods along I-565.  Anywhere in South or East HSV works too if you can find one where the numbers work.  Medical District is great like @David W. mentioned.  

However, seems like anywhere in the HSV area is moving up with the job growth the city is seeing right now!

@Jerry Hartnett

That property is in North Huntsville, as @John White mentioned, there is not much growth in the area.  For that reason the property values may go down, however the area does bring in decent rental rates.  I know several investors that bring in good returns in that area.

@Brian Reynolds   Outside of North Huntsville, most of the area is growing.  We are seeing the best appreciation near the Five Points/Hospital District and in Madison(due to the strong school system).  An area that I personally invest is 35805 near Lowe Mills and the Campus 805 area.  The area is currently a working class community.  The properties there have nice cash flow and are prime for gentrification as many of the properties are similar to the homes in Five Points area for a fraction of the cost.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.