Cleveland vs Indianapolis

4 Replies

I’m trying to figure out if I want to purchase my first buy and hold in Cleveland or Indianapolis. Does anyone have any experience with these cities and can tell me any big differences between the two? Thanks!!!

I currently invest in Cleveland, but I’ll be honest. Indianapolis is looking REALLY strong. The city gov seems to get it. Cle politics will be the death of continued growth for the region without change.

Originally posted by @Phil T. :
I’m trying to figure out if I want to purchase my first buy and hold in Cleveland or Indianapolis. Does anyone have any experience with these cities and can tell me any big differences between the two?

Thanks!!!

I've only ever invested in my backyard (Cleveland) so I can't say anything about which one is better. I imagine they are pretty similar to be honest. Most Midwestern cities are. I just wanna drop this off for you The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. I'm not one to push someone to one city or another. It's just if you do research the Cleveland market you need to know what your buying. Way to many investors look on Zillow & get dazzled by the $15,000 houses. There is a reason they are $15,000 lol. & that reason IS NOT b/c you just stumbled upon the most amazing rental investment in the history of the world.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633
Originally posted by @Phil T. :
I’m trying to figure out if I want to purchase my first buy and hold in Cleveland or Indianapolis. Does anyone have any experience with these cities and can tell me any big differences between the two?

Thanks!!!

I am just going to be another voice here for Cleveland because I am one of the cities biggest fans. It is a great place to invest and to live! There has been so much happening here and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. It is very affordable and there is a big demand for nice rentals. The suburbs really pay off around here.

I do not know much about Indianapolis aside from it has been popular with investors lately, that would make me a bit nervous about prices. Like I said, I only really know about Cleveland so I may not be the best to answer here. I just thought I would give you 2 pennies. 

Good luck!

Tom Ott, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2016003865)
440-749-4043

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.