Opinions sought from Miami locals

5 Replies

I have a multi-family property under contract in what I think is a C grade area of Miami; it's a very central location though.

Here are the calculations for it:

Purchase price- 162k

Rehab cost- 40k

Monthly rental income- $2800

I am looking to buy and hold. I would remodel this to a high standard with really nice finishes to attract better tenants.

I am buying it sight unseen and I am a little hesitant about the area.

It's on NW 45th St, Miami.

The purchase price per square foot is a mere $65, which is well below the current market average, even for the area.

Are there any Miami locals who could chirp in with their opinion on this one? Good deal or bad idea?

The avenue will make all difference. You could be near Wynwood (but judging by the purchase price you likely arent) or a really shady area. Sight unseen? For that area you are brave. 

Depends on the avenue as stated. if it's west of the airport, you could be okay. East of the airport is real bad. I assume at that price point, you are in the real bad part.

Everything that has already been said plus Hope you have a professional down here helping you with this. How decent / bad was the inspection? When are those leases up? Have you seen the rent roll?

Malgorzata Sadowska, Real Estate Agent in FL (#3313909)
(305) 204-2462

Thank you very much for the reply everyone! It's so appreciated that you took the time.

To add some further detail it's between 17 and 18 Avenue. 

It's a foreclosure and unoccupied. I have some people checking on possible violations with the city.

I thought the agent/seller had to disclose that or is that not the case?

I really don't mind the area. I think lower than 49-50th St is quite nice. Once you cross over 54th Street, you are really in the hood.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.