Lock box during rehab question

3 Replies

I am purchasing a new rental SFH tomorrow. It needs some rehab and I plan to have the house rented out by May 1. My husband and I were discussing whether or not to put a lock box on the door for ease of entry for my contractor and his subs. What are others thoughts on the safety of this as far as people breaking in? The house has been vacant for over 6 months with a lock box and a for sale sign in the front yard (I purchased it off the MLS) with no issue. The area is not a war zone but is a lower blue collar area (for anyone local, it's off of Broad River between I-20 and Bush River Road).

Also, would connecting the lock box to the porch rail rather than the door be less obvious to potential intruders?

TIA

Put the lock box on. It's easier to break a window than it is to break a lock box. If someone wants in they will get in.

Up until now I have always used a lock box on my flips. I put them on a rail, gas line, or somewhere less obvious than the front door knob. It's nice when all of your subs (you have to trust them) have access.

I always use a lock box for rehabbing, I can change codes if needed, I use the kwickset rekeyable locks on my houses. I have one key we all use for rehabbing and as soon as the rehab is done. I rekey it for the renter.  Just takes a couple of minutes. When we buy the next house the first thing i do is change  the locks,  set my key , put on a lockbox and everyone is set to go. rehab starts .  if they are going to break in the lock box isn't going to speed them up. the windows is an easy break, or they will kick door in. Just make sure your insurance is paid up.    the lock boxes I use are less than 15 bucks, keep 4 on my truck, also rekey between renters.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.