Negotiating Selling Commissions and Fees

4 Replies

I am wrapping up my first house flip this week and I have started speaking with the agent who helped me buy the same house in order to sell it. She sent me her listing agreement and the commission shows the standard 6%. I want to negotiate to get the best commission rate and drop it by 1%. In exchange, there is another property in the same neighborhood that I intend to flip and work with this agent again to sell. 

The other question I have is how to negotiate with title companies and others to drop their fees. What fees are easier targets to try and get waived or reduced?

How would others go about negotiating the commissions or the fees? What are your successes? What negotiations did not work?

Well commissions are sort of a mixed bag, with a lower fee sometimes agents are less likely to want to show the property and they will snub you.  However right now there are many hot markets that sell quickly.  The 6% is probably 3% buyer and 3% seller, so is the 5% 2% buyer and 3% seller or 2.5 each?  Is this agent a top seller for the area?  What makes you think she can sell it faster and for the best price?

The best way to negotiate a lower commission is to find another company that will do it for less.

Just simply ask. Hey I did one transaction with you, this will be the 2nd, i want to buy this other flip over here and do two more...how about a repeat customer discount.

Redfin only charges 1% to sell and gives 3% to buyer agent making your total 4%

Originally posted by @Bryan Bannach :

Redfin only charges 1% to sell and gives 3% to buyer agent making your total 4%

 And the incompetence and inexperience of their agents will likely cost you more than they save you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.