What is considered good cap rate when investing domestically?

5 Replies

I live in Ohio and so I'm used to a certain rate of return. I've never invested outside of Ohio so I'd like to know what is considered good cap rate when investing in other cities such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Atlanta, etc?

"Good" Cap-Rate will vary from each investors perspective. In the city of LA you aren't getting a good cap rate generally unless if you are buying significantly below market value. At that point you either can get a decent cap rate or you likely could flip the property for massive profits. Anything above 10% IMO in LA is pretty good. Many investors will take 6-8% for sure.

Interesting @Brett Goldsmith I would’ve thought 6-8% for California is like a gold mine. I’m seeing cap rates as low as 3-4% being advertised. Where I’m from depending on if you’re buying turnkey or fixer upper you can average between 12-20%

@Alex Price If there was a bunch of 10 CAP stuff out in LA I wouldn't be in business lol.

In NYC, cap rates are hyper local and vary from under 2% in high end Manhattan neighborhoods, to about 5.5% in parts of the boroughs. They can get a bit higher but that would the exception.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here