Listing using smart lock boxes?

7 Replies

Looking to sell a property sans listing realtor (commission) online.  Intend to use the usual online listing services and post sign in front yard to encourage buyers agent or zillow showings. (house is empty) Anyone using "smart lockboxes" like vaultlocks or supraekey that monitor and record access via smart phone?

Thanks!

@Douglas Ellis   I know people that put combination locks on the deadbolt.  They simply change the combo on a regular basis.  It is a fairly cheap system.

Some require a photo of a driver license to get inside.  It normally takes about 2-3 minutes for the phone call, the text with the DL, and to give the person the combo.

Im not familiar with any electronic loxk box systems that are not tied into being a realtor. Sentrilock and suprakey require you to be an agent to use the service. I think you will need a regular old school lock box if you are not an agent.

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard of lock box that requires DL photo but I'll certainly look online. 

I got the impression that anyone could use the "smart" lock box like supraekey just by subscribing to the monthly service ("no cost to buyers agents"). I don't have a problem with allowing access to empty house to legit party. Otherwise, it's By Appt. Thought the lock box would give the most showing potential...

I plan to do all the marketing and offer 2% commission for a buyer. Reno exceeded estimates so need to maximize my ROI.

Originally posted by @Douglas Ellis :

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard of lock box that requires DL photo but I'll certainly look online. 

I got the impression that anyone could use the "smart" lock box like supraekey just by subscribing to the monthly service ("no cost to buyers agents"). I don't have a problem with allowing access to empty house to legit party. Otherwise, it's By Appt. Thought the lock box would give the most showing potential...

I plan to do all the marketing and offer 2% commission for a buyer. Reno exceeded estimates so need to maximize my ROI.

As far as I know the electronic boxes are agents only, since as you log into their software you see how to access every single other box around, which the general public shouldnt see.

Id also suggest looking at what the commissions being offered on properties in your location are (Which might be hard for you to find out).  If they are all 2%, then you are fine offering that. But if they rates are higher, your property will sit.

HI @Douglas Ellis ,

With Supra (At least in my market) us as agents buy the boxes (About a hundred) and then pay $50 for startup and $15 a month. Every time I launch the app it goes online to make sure I am current, every time I open a box it gets stored for security reasons. IE: If you show up tomorrow and all the piping is gone, they can come to me to start the police investigation. I am not familiar with another lockbox system.

As a suggestion though I believe there are smart locks you can buy (Deadbolts) that you could use to give out individual codes to people that call. IE: Fred Smith calls you give him code 1234 and then Tom Jones calls give them 8530 etc. I think they are a couple hundred, but may help. Granted you are kind of taking someones word for it and giving a code, but it's an option.

Good Luck!

Thanks again. Good advice. I've got the advantage of alert neighbors and looking at front door security webcam as well. Traditional lock box may be all I need.

I ended up buying a masterlock bluetooth lockbox for $100 on Amazon. It works great, I can open remotely and/or send a temporary code via smart phone to realtor or prospective buyer. All access is recorded on my phone, a text is generated ea time the lock is opened, and by whom (name or phone number). And, there's no subscription fees. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here