Self Directed IRA Investment Funds

4 Replies

Does anyone know if there is a way to combine the Roth IRA, traditional IRA and rollover IRA money from my fidelity retirement account to invest in a single multifamily commercial deal. I know the IRS has these as separate accounts for a reason, so I was not sure if you can commingle these funds together for a single investment?

Jason,

You can set up a self-directed Traditional IRA and combine your rollover and traditional IRAs into one. Since Roth IRA is post-tax it would have to stay separate, you will need separate self-directed Roth IRA for those funds.

@Dmitriy Fomichenko Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that once my Roth self directed IRA is set up I cannot use those Roth funds on the same commercial investment as my traditional self directed Ira funds?

@Jason Piccolo

It is possible to joint venture multiple IRA plans into a single investment. It, however, becomes more complex and expensive than just using one account. So, what is possible and what makes sense may or may not align in such cases.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here