Would you buy a property with one of THESE in the backyard??

8 Replies

We are looking at this property as a potential live-in flip. The property itself is near Roseville, CA. The owner is an absentee landlord who just wants the property gone. She's very motivated to get rid of it. The property itself needs a moderate amount of work. Most of which we could do while we are living in the property. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a converted garage which has another 2 bedrooms and one bathroom (potential househack arrangement) My biggest hang-up is this massive electrical tower that is in the backyard. It's somewhat of an eyesore but I can get over that. I've heard rumors of potential health hazards associated with the radiation from power lines. Does anyone have information/thoughts about living so close to the power lines? Thanks in advance!

Nope, I'm not a scientist, but I am fairly certain no good news will ever be published about living under power lines. 

But seriously, if you are having heart ache about it, so will the next buyer. 

although for the right discount yes..  I suspect the health affects are not real... other wise you would not have these up and you would see people protesting the heck out them..  have to get the lights on some how.

I wouldn't be against it, but some people will be. Seems like a lot of unnecessary downside and no upside. 

@Kim Stofan I just declined to pursue an opportunity because of this. Numbers worked (I believe it was priced right because of this) but I keep being concerned about this from a tenant point of view. I would not want to live there. I agree that if it is an issue to you, it’s possible that it will be to another purchaser down the line.

There are no adverse health affects, it's all bunk.  We had a virtually identical tower in the back yard of the rancher my parents built when I was a kid.  Oldest of six and none of us got polio or grew a third arm.  You could hear them though, sometimes a low hum.  Like growing up next to railroad tracks...you stop hearing them after a while.   

That being said, I can imagine buyers passing it up.  I wouldn't care if the numbers worked.

Originally posted by @Russell R. :
@Kim Stofan I just declined to pursue an opportunity because of this. Numbers worked (I believe it was priced right because of this) but I keep being concerned about this from a tenant point of view. I would not want to live there. I agree that if it is an issue to you, it’s possible that it will be to another purchaser down the line.

tenant I believe would not really care.. .owner occ yes they will care.. is my thought on it. I mean look at where renters live 

Originally posted by @Russell R. :

additionally I know this area its super nice.. no problem with tenant.. its not the hood and a power line.. its a very up scale area.