Approached by lease purchase buyer

Approached by lease purchase buyer

Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes

I was recently approached by a company locally here in maine called Mynt Investments. They want to buy any of my plus 5 units via 2-3 year lease purchase (required to buy vs. option to buy). I have a copy of their agreement. I basically set a price that gives me 3x my initial equity investment and indicated i might be interested in only selling my 8 unit (just bought 2 mos ago, great cash flow, but lower income, a bit of a PIA to manage). Bought for 185k ARC, sell 220K) - might be too low, I don't know, but my question is, "what should I be on the look out for? what are some advantages / disadvantage to doing this?"

My initial thought is that it sort of ... puts a 180 on our core plan (acquisition) -- now suddenly I'm selling ... but of course, I do believe the MARKET vs. a cemented time line should dictate selling. (i.e. sell when you can get a great price vs. just becuase you have a 20 year plan), so that objection is sort of mute.

My only REAL concern is that I'm "turning over" an asset that we've worked hard (albeit only 2 months) at turning around. What is the deal falls through 18 months from now .... what am I going to get back? An empty building? A building full or crack dealers?

Any thoughts you have would be, of course, greatly appreciated.

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · NY · Member since 2008 · 313 posts · 87 votes
    14y

    I would be afraid to turn over my property to someone I do not know. What happens in 2 years when the building gets out of control and the buyer decides to walk away? Is the 35k spread worth it? They might not just walk away either you might have to do an eviciton on the company to regain comtrol of the property. Now you might have to do evictions on some tenants and repairs that could eat up the 35k.
    I do not know how much they plan to put down but I would want a minimum down that would cover the risk of finanicg it and also cover cost should you need to take it back. They might even give it back with code violations liens etc.
    I rather sell at a discount to a stright up cash buyer than hold the note. I will hold the note if the down payment is large enough and I feel confident in the buyer.
    Also I would check this companies referances. Are they a new company? Have they done deals like this before? Have they ever completed the agreement and cashed you out of the property in 2-3 years?

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    14y

    Great question Kenneth!

    I am actually consulting someone on doing the same thing with a 48 suite right now.

    Here is the deal, it is a great idea as long as they have skin in the game and you can still control them. Set perimeters of expectations and what happens if they are not met.

    There is a lot to say about this, but a quick piece of advice, you are getting a manager that will guarantee your set income regardless if the building makes money or not. Just make sure you are not dealing with someone that does not have a pot to piss in!

    Good luck!! :mrgreen:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.