• Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
1 Billion Dollar Fund

Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Oct 30 2011, 14:13

Below is an article that sounds like many i read daily. It seems like an announcement that the company gathered up this amount of money and are out to buy and hold real estate. I may be over thinking it but here are some basic questions I have about this sort of thing. Below that, you'll see the article I'm referring to.

- is this like a syndication?
- is this just super rich people getting together to form a fund and buy/hold RE?
- i'm really just curious, what this is. To me it sounds like Syndication, but i was hoping to get some help from you guys; thank you!

Brookfield and Dubai government start a $1B fund
October 27, 2011
Brookfield Asset Management and a Dubai government investment branch will begin a $1 billion fund to acquire real estate properties in Dubai, United Arab Emirates following a price decrease of more than half since 2008.

"We see this agreement as another big step in our next phase of growth," Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, chairman of Dubai government’s supreme fiscal committee and a member of the investment corporation’s board, said in the statement. "[This] affirms Dubai’s attractiveness as a premier investment destination in this region."

Brookfield CEO Bruce Flatt said that his agency views this as a great opportunity to acquire valuable assets in Dubai and the expected infusion of long-term capital into the city's market lays out the potential of recovery in the near future.

During its peak in 2008, Dubai housed one of the world's best housing markets, but since then home prices have dropped 64 percent. However, Viswanathan Shankar, Standard Chartered Plc's CEO, views the Brookfield and Dubai government deal as a step in the right direction which had to be done to bring increased liquidity to the Dubai market.

Loading replies...