Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Harry Campbell
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Need advice on multi-partner investment deal!

Harry Campbell
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Dec 3 2011, 11:47

So I have an opportunity to be a part of a small group that is buying a 3 unit apartment building. I have done a lot of research online in the past, and purchased a condo for myself a couple years ago. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has experience in real estate or more specifically multi-partner real estate investment property transactions.

I did not do any preliminary research on the property until the investor brought it to me the other day. The offer on the property has been accepted at 475k, it is a 3 unit one story building, with 3 1 bed/1bath units. The units are all currently rented out for 1267/mo, not sure about the make up of the tenants or how long they've been there. The outside of the units are in ok condition, not good, but not bad. I am not too worried about the rental part, the units should rent fairly easily if there is a vacancy, the area is pretty desirable and the rents are around the current going market rate. The principal investor has secured a 10 year fixed loan at 3.8% with 30% down, which seems like an awesome rate to me.

Now the part where I have little experience and need some advice :) There will be 3-5 investors including myself and the principal investor. We will need about 150k for down payment, closing costs, etc. I am looking at putting in 20k, the principal investor will be putting in 30-50k. Now I like the fact that he has a stake in the deal and he is not just putting everything together, but he does take a management fee of 20% before profits are distributed to the investors, does this seem appropriate? The projected cash on cash return in the first year is 8%, with principal addition it would be 12%. I don't expect much though from the first year as we will probably need to build a small reserve account, etc. I think the 20% fee sounds reasonable to me. I will be taking a look at the property this weekend and we are doing physical inspections next week. Is there anything I am missing or that I need to consider?

Thanks for the help!!

Loading replies...