Problem with realtors

9 Replies

Hi guys,

Can u please  help me out? I am having problems with realtors.  And I need to figure out what am I doing wrong. 

For example, I was buying a house  and I warned my realtor that I will be coming probably a month in advance and asked her to make sure The seller turned electrical on and water. So when I came Nothing was turned on and she said she reminded to the seller . The house was two days away for foreclosure auction and she never told me about it. I spent all that money for the trip  but the house was two days away from foreclosure auction but she never mentioned it to me. She was representing me And the seller. 

Now I’m trying to buy  in a different state and I told my realtor about it again a month ahead of time  and once the week I kept reminding her,  and she says that she did tell the sellers realtor as well a month ahead of time and last Monday.

Now the sellers agent saying that it’s Easter weekend and it’s too short of a notice for him,  he says that he needs more than two days notice 

My realtor says that she did tell the sellers agent on Monday and a month before .

How do I make realtors perform? What am I doing wrong ? 

Am I not reminding them enough? Or what ? 

When writing the offer, put those dates down as a condition of the sale.  Perhaps if they know they will lose the sale, they will be more likely to get it done. If they fail to do it, then they have to pay $XXX (make it enough to cover your travel expenses) or lose that amount from the sales price.  

I would also see if you can call the utility company ahead of time to make sure it is on.

Most realtors suck, plain and simple. Find a good one and hang on tight to them because they are rare.

For some people, being a realtor is as close as a person can come to being unemployed (or retired) while still saying they have a job.

Just like many jobs there are lots of people that just suck at doing their job...... find a new agent to work with.......

Hi @Mary Jay

Can you elaborate a bit- did you have the properties under contract?  Were you coming to attend inspections?

Sounds like your realtor did as you asked but the seller side didn’t.  If it was just to view a property without being under contract, it could be conceivable that a seller wasn’t willing to go through the expense of utility hookups just for showings.

Originally posted by @Lydia S. :

Hi @Mary Jay

Can you elaborate a bit- did you have the properties under contract?  Were you coming to attend inspections?

Sounds like your realtor did as you asked but the seller side didn’t.  If it was just to view a property without being under contract, it could be conceivable that a seller wasn’t willing to go through the expense of utility hookups just for showings.

Under contract, was coming for inspection . 

@Mary Jay

If it's a REO, utilities usually will not be turned on. If a non REO, place a clause about utilities being turned on in the contract, affecting your time lines if it is not.

When utilities will not be turned on, you need a heavy generator, air pressure test plumbing, etc.

Lets see , the house is in foreclosure , so the sellers are losing it and they dont live there , you think they are going to spend their money to turn on the water and electric for 1 day ?   Maybe since they are losing the house they owe past electric and water and they cant get it turned back on ?   Like @Wayne Brooks said bring a compressor and generator and check it yourself 

@Mary Jay

Furthermore...you need to re-assess your self. The realtors aren't the problem...when a buyer tells a realtor they want utilities turned on it's a HUGE red flag that they are dealing with a novice..everyone knows that utilities are NOT going to be turned on...