A question about etiquette

15 Replies

So I have a question about etiquette. I met a realtor at a local meet up and he told me about a property. The property it self looks like it's going to need quite a bit of work just from the outside appearances. I've messaged him with a few questions about the property, rents, why they're selling, etc, and have yet to receive a response. Its been two days since the first message where he replied that he would get the answers to my questions. My etiquette question is this: how long should I wait to receive a response to my questions or should I just sidestep the realtor and ask my questions directly from the seller? I have no idea if the realtor has another buyer, already sold the property or is just ignoring me. My thoughts are that if the realtor isn't responding, that I should be able to go directly to the seller, find answers and make a deal directly with the seller. I'm still new and not sure what real estate investor/ realtor rules/ guidelines/ practices dictate. Thanks for helping with your opinions.

keep why they are selling out of the conversation.. its not germane.. I know a lot of people ask this but it really has no bearing.. if its listed on the MLS and he is the listing agent/ or she.. then call them and ask if they got your questions.

could be pending also .. and many cases unless the agent wants to foster a relationship with you for future bizz you may never hear from them..  

everyone has their style.. I am type A if I don't get answers I go get them.

Really hard to say without knowing the agent and property. If it's a hot property and you know it most likely it's Pending and the agent is just focused on closing it with the parties involved.  Should he respond? Yes but sometimes agents just don't have the time to respond or just lazy.  Move on is the easiest thing to do.

@Alex Verdugo . It’s situations like this that I find you need a go-getter type realtor.

I know what I’m good at and what I’m not good at. I’m an engineer and a “numbers” guy. I am good at analyzing deals. I am not always the most out-going so sometimes getting a total stranger (like a listing agent) on the phone can be difficult or “scary” for me.

Recently a property hit the mls. I first found it on Zillow, the day it was posted. I liked what I saw, so I drove by, still liked it. Tried calling the listing agent, and left a message. Didn’t get back to me the next day. I knew it was a good deal and would go fast, so I called my realtor and we made an offer. She had a prior relationship with the listing agent and got him on the phone immediately. You can see my point.

If it is listed in MLS AND you are an agent, you can't go to the owner directly but it sounds like you're not. You could hire a buyer agent contract and all but it's a bit muddy because you've spoken to the presumably listing agent. That doesn't make the agent the 'procuring cause' of your interest in buying as you stated that came first but... as an agent, if I was screwing up by not staying in touch properly even if I didn't the answers yet, I'd appreciate a heads up that you need to hear back asap.

Send. text and/or email if you don't like calling, we all appreciate a good "hey stupid!" as long as it's done with care <grin>

Originally posted by @RJ Reynolds :

If it is listed in MLS AND you are an agent, you can't go to the owner directly but it sounds like you're not. You could hire a buyer agent contract and all but it's a bit muddy because you've spoken to the presumably listing agent. That doesn't make the agent the 'procuring cause' of your interest in buying as you stated that came first but... as an agent, if I was screwing up by not staying in touch properly even if I didn't the answers yet, I'd appreciate a heads up that you need to hear back asap.

Send. text and/or email if you don't like calling, we all appreciate a good "hey stupid!" as long as it's done with care <grin>

I'm not an agent.  The realtor that told me about it said it was off market and the research I've done pulls up very little.  

Given that it's off market and the agent is not getting back to you with answers and you are not an agent, you can certainly reach out to the owner. While I'm making some guesses here, I'm assuming the agent has no current active contract with the owner. Even if he does, that's between the owner and the agent.

I'd say go forth and communicate with the property owner. 

and I still think the agent could use a heads up that he dropped the ball if he wants to work with you in the future.

The more you get involved in REI, the less you care about these types of situations with realtors. What I have found is most of them act this way. You clearly aren't that important to him, so take matters into your own hands. At the end of the day, you are paying them for their service, if the service is terrible, move on.

@Alex Verdugo

Don’t stop and wait. If you’re not getting the answers, find someone who has them. If the agent doesn’t want to return your calls, find one that will.

But once you find a good agent, be loyal. Sign with them and don’t jerk them around. The reason why soooo many people dislike agents, is because soooo many people treat agents like crap, which in turn makes soooo many crappy agents.

Find a good one, stick with them and they’ll make your real estate investing world that much easier.

Originally posted by @RJ Reynolds :

Given that it's off market and the agent is not getting back to you with answers and you are not an agent, you can certainly reach out to the owner. While I'm making some guesses here, I'm assuming the agent has no current active contract with the owner. Even if he does, that's between the owner and the agent.

I'd say go forth and communicate with the property owner. 

and I still think the agent could use a heads up that he dropped the ball if he wants to work with you in the future.

Agreed if you like the property I would be banging on the door talking to owner direct..  this is business its not about hurting feelings.

if agent has no bonafide listing.. then its open to anyone.. think wholesalers..

Originally posted by @Alex Verdugo :

So I have a question about etiquette. I met a realtor at a local meet up and he told me about a property. The property it self looks like it's going to need quite a bit of work just from the outside appearances. I've messaged him with a few questions about the property, rents, why they're selling, etc, and have yet to receive a response. Its been two days since the first message where he replied that he would get the answers to my questions. My etiquette question is this: how long should I wait to receive a response to my questions or should I just sidestep the realtor and ask my questions directly from the seller? I have no idea if the realtor has another buyer, already sold the property or is just ignoring me. My thoughts are that if the realtor isn't responding, that I should be able to go directly to the seller, find answers and make a deal directly with the seller. I'm still new and not sure what real estate investor/ realtor rules/ guidelines/ practices dictate. Thanks for helping with your opinions.

I would call/ text/ email the agent and tell them you need a response. Deadlines are effective. "I need to know something by end of day", or something like that. If they aren't responsive and nobody has any kind of agency contract, then it's fair game, and the agent is going to miss out. 

As an agent, I understand both sides of this. I have gotten busy and missed deals. I've also just completely forgotten about people. Or had other calls come in that were urgent. As someone who worked with agents before I was one, I understand the waiting game, and it's not fun. Let the agent know what you expect, and if they can't deliver, they're not a good fit for you. 

I highly doubt this person cares about your feelings as much as you care about theirs.

@Alex Verdugo

Careful side stepping an agent. 9/10 the listing and the buyer agents know each other. However, if you are left to that choice call the listing agent and work with them. They’ll have more of an incentive to work both sides.

Originally posted by @Nick Rutkowski :

@Alex Verdugo

Careful side stepping an agent. 9/10 the listing and the buyer agents know each other. However, if you are left to that choice call the listing agent and work with them. They’ll have more of an incentive to work both sides.

sounded like the property was not listed..  ergo my advice is to go direct.. at least that is what I would do if agent is slow or non responsive.  and that's me a broker of 44 years now..  takes 60 seconds to send e mail.. I don't text so would never do that..  but I can use e mail on my phone and if I can so can most everyone else.. 

Thank you everyone for your comments.  The property hasn't been listed and I havent heard  back from the realtor either.