Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Asim Sheikh
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Where to invest - near where I live or another state?

Asim Sheikh
  • Long Island, NY
Posted Nov 8 2019, 18:09

Hi All - So, although this may sound simple, it's actually not that simple of a question due to a variety of variables. 

Objective
: I am interested in single family homes as investment properties, and have a 10 year horizon.

Here's the background
: I moved from Connecticut to New York recently, and I have one rental in Connecticut, which is about 2.5 hours away from my previous home.  The area where this home is located is relatively stable, and does not fluctuate at all, no matter how the economy is doing!  My new home is in Long Island, but the real estate values in this area are much higher, and tend to fluctuate a lot, mostly following the trends of other economic indicators.  There aren't too many renters, or even people, in the Connecticut area where my previous home is located, and this is not a problem at all in Long Island, as it seems to be bursting at the seams with people!  In addition, since the values are higher in Long Island, cash flow potential is also higher than Connecticut.  However, the big downside with Long Island is that prices are high and the big downside with Connecticut is finding renters in a timely manner.

All of this being said, would it be better to buy in Connecticut or Long Island, given my objective?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...