Can I find a property that meets the 1% rule in Idaho?

4 Replies

Colorado investor here just starting to research the area. Curious if you can hit close to the 1% rule in Idaho and where those areas might be. Thanks for your input!

@Chris Billington You may still be able to find some in Eastern Idaho, around Pocatello or Blackfoot, and some other smaller surrounding cities. However, they get offered on very quickly and if the seller leaves the window open for more offers, they will almost always receive multiple high offers well above asking. But it can be done, in most cases though they will not be necessarily turnkey, they will probably require some repairs & updates. In Idaho Falls back in Spring or early Summer I placed a bid $10k over asking on a 4 plex because the numbers still worked enough for me, but I was still outbid by someone that offered "substantially" over asking - words of the listing agent. It's a crazy time right now with people being over-confident.

It is really tough although I have been able to find a couple this last year that meet the 1% rule but they are not listed on the MLS. I market and find these properties on my own. As an investor and rehabber I have not bought a property on the MLS in the Boise area for 1.5+ years.

I bought one last your off the market, but I would definitely call that an exception, not a norm, and I had to put a ton of work into it.  I would scope out East Idaho if you are really set on sticking to the 1% rule.  

Boise area offers a lot of other opportunities.  There is a lot of growth in Boise, and particularly in some of the other surrounding cities.  Feel free to reach out for a little more in depth analysis 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here