Replacing Dishwasher nightmare.

33 Replies

When things are not going your way, something as simple as replacing a dishwasher can prove to be a nightmare. I am sure there are more people here who have experienced same total incompetence and lack of professionalism from Home Depot. I mean its a multi billion dollar company for crying out loud...

So follow this with me if you can....

11/18 - Tenant calls me and informs that Dishwasher is not working.. It won't turn on

11/18 - Send my handyman to look at it. The dishwasher is 11 yrs old. He recommends not wasting any money on repair, and just replace it. He says, I can order one from Home Depot/Lowes for $400.00. I am paying for installation and hauling away of the old dishwasher as well. 

11/19 - I place the order on HD website.  ETA is 11/25. 

11/25 - The given ETA is 2:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M. He has my order as the last one to be delivered. Delivers it to the tenant, and apparently does some cursory check and informs my tenant that there is no grounding underneath the sink, and so the dishwasher cannot be installed. Tenant doesn't know any better. The truth is that there is grounding there and the place was built in 1995, and has had dishwasher ever since. He literally drops the box in the living room and runs for the door.  The dishwasher is still sitting in the box (This is very important detail). 

11/26 - I call up Home Depot and talk to the lady, and she says this is terrible it has happened to you. I will send another guy to do the install. The earliest possible date is 11/30. So we schedule a visit from HD tech on 11/30. OK No problem.. I can be a bit patient and so can my tenant. 

11/30 - The tech comes in as scheduled, and when he takes the dishwasher out of the box, we discover there is a huge dent on the door- like it was used as a punching bag by Mike Tyson damage. 

Now, since this was not reported within 2 days of delivery, HD will not replace it. Per HD, tenants or I should have removed it from the box and inspected it Now we have to deal with the manufacturer. HD arranges for the manufacturer to come in and inspect the dishwasher and then they will make determination of what's to be done. 

12/10 - The manufacturer sends their rep. He inspects the damage and reorders the part. He informs the dishwasher can still be used despite the damage to the door, and he will come and replace the door on 12/27. I should call HD so they can come and install. So the ball is back in Home Depot's court.. 

12/17 - Another HD rep comes to do the install and calls me with a completely ridiculous story. According to him this whole ticket has been a big mess. and these door parts cannot be ordered at all. So he has gone ahead and put in an order to get the whole Dishwasher replaced, and I should call Home Depot to get the order number and date of the delivery. For a moment I am elated that someone finally did their job right.. 

So I pick up the phone and call Home Depot and talked to the same folks that I have been dealing with. They tell me that there is NO such order, and I was conned by the guy who came to do the installation. So I get the store manager (top guy for the store) on line and have a long chat with him. According to him, this is not an isolated incident, and not at all Home Depot's fault, but the company who has been hired to do the installations has been dropping the ball left and right... Apparently it is same company for all the DC-MD-VA residents, and if even I would have bought the dishwasher from Lowe's, I would have been subjected to the same risk.

According to this store manager, things are so bad that Home Depot had to form a new company just to deal with the consumer complaints.

I am not sure if there is any truth to background info the manager gave me or this is bunch of BS as well..

Moving Forward..

12/27-   The door will be replaced  as promised by the company. 

12/28-   The dishwasher will be installed, and someone from HD will be there.. I will be there myself.. 

Anyone else experienced this kind of nonsense? 

@Chinmay J.   After the second round, I would have told them to pick up the dishwasher and return your money and ordered from another company.  Most of the time Home Depot hires local contractors and you can buy from a local company and get it done for a comparable price.

Mines a bit different. 

I had a pro-account with HD & we did the new cheap carpet with the free tear out remove & install deal. The guys show up with all the new carpet, haul all of it up 4 flights of small stairs to the attic apartment. As they start tearing out the carpet they stop, declaring the place a health hazard due to the blood spatter stains on the plywood flooring. I tell them It's wood stain you morons, but they leave the rolls of carpet & bail so now I have to get rid of the carpet & fight to get a credit. 

I went to a carpet store nearby, get a better price for the tear out, removal & install. Everything goes smoothly & they struggled to get the HD carpet down to the patio for HD pick-up. I cancelled the HD pro-account after I got stuck with a $90 charge they refused to reimburse because the carpet was cut to order. That year I dropped >$70k at Lowes so sent a copy of the Lowes year end statement to HD corporate & got the $90 reimbursed. But I rarely go there anymore.

Pic of the 'crime scene blood spatters' they bolted from.  

Did you buy the dishwasher using a credit card? If so, you can always dispute the charge. The heat could be put on Home Depot and perhaps you'll be able to return the dishwasher despite Home Depot claiming you breached the two day delivery return date. 

@Chinmay J.

I feel for you. I've been there. Thanks for the high-value post of the Voice of Experience, with documented events and times.

The local RAS delivery boys that HD often contracts with almost got me on a Black Friday sale electric stove delivery. They called me up when they were 45 minutes away two hours before their delivery window opened. I told them I wasn't there and I wouldn't be there until the delivery window opened. They told me they would talk to their bosses and get back to me. BS all the way. No one called me back. Sure enough, those boys rolled up 45 minutes later on the delivery address and their faces fell when they saw me standing on the porch of the delivery address. Oh no, of course they weren't going to drop it off and disappear, or just take it back and leave me hanging for a week or so! How dare I imply that was the plan all along so they could finish early? How could I possibly be so suspicious? What an a-hole, picking on poor misunderstood workingmen!

I called up HD and got a $100 bucks off the order for their delivery window shenanigans.

I think it was five years back that Lowes left me hanging for 14 days to get someone out to a rental's address to hook up a gas stove. And they never told me. Neither did the tenants. It was delivered, and the tenants just stared at the thing in the hallway for two weeks until the installer got out there.

I agree that it was wise to connect with the local HD store manager. I have long fostered a good business relationship with mine. A lot of crap goes easier when the local big boss is shepherding your bigger install orders through, or you have to order materials or appliance deliveries from multiple stores (it's also happened to me).

This is the sort of thing I think about when I see recent college grads posting about how they're planning on running seven BRRRRs a year and they're sure their biggest problems are going to be dealing with the banks.

@Chinmay J. Hi there,

We purchased a dishwasher, washing machine, and gas dryer from HD. Also purchased the install, etc. They ended up not installing anything. Slight drip under the sink, so no dishwasher install. Wrench they used to disconnect water line for washer, too small, so no install. Gas shutoff valve was not right behind dryer, so no install.

Called local plumber, they got it done!

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

I have my contractors do installs, I dont have Home Depots.

Usually that's what I do as well, but my guy was on vacation due to holiday season. 

Originally posted by @Pat L. :

Mines a bit different. 

I had a pro-account with HD & we did the new cheap carpet with the free tear out remove & install deal. The guys show up with all the new carpet, haul all of it up 4 flights of small stairs to the attic apartment. As they start tearing out the carpet they stop, declaring the place a health hazard due to the blood spatter stains on the plywood flooring. I tell them It's wood stain you morons, but they leave the rolls of carpet & bail so now I have to get rid of the carpet & fight to get a credit. 

I went to a carpet store nearby, get a better price for the tear out, removal & install. Everything goes smoothly & they struggled to get the HD carpet down to the patio for HD pick-up. I cancelled the HD pro-account after I got stuck with a $90 charge they refused to reimburse because the carpet was cut to order. That year I dropped >$70k at Lowes so sent a copy of the Lowes year end statement to HD corporate & got the $90 reimbursed. But I rarely go there anymore.

I am surprised that a multi billion dollar company like HD is not able to keep these contractors in line. Now if I am a small time contractor and I get business from HD, I am going to go above and beyond to ensure that the client is happy, and moreover HD is happy so I keep getting more and more business from them. 

Originally posted by @Chinmay J. :
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

Mines a bit different. 

I am surprised that a multi billion dollar company like HD is not able to keep these contractors in line. Now if I am a small time contractor and I get business from HD, I am going to go above and beyond to ensure that the client is happy, and moreover HD is happy so I keep getting more and more business from them. 

You're looking for a reasonable amount of business acumen in people who, if they had any, wouldn't need to work with HD at all, at least not past their first few months of setting up shop.

Like others have said try and avoid HD and Lowes when it comes to installs. I have always had issues with their contractors, either showing up late, refusing to do certain aspects of the job, or just overall doing a terrible job. These contractors often don't care because the business keeps on flowing from HD. Even if there are complaints the company is so large they don't really focus on those details because at worst they figure they can just refund you. If at all possible have your own contractors do installs and pick up everything yourself. It may be a little more expensive (not always) but file that under as a "Headache Avoidance Fee". 

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

@Chinmay J.

I feel for you. I've been there. Thanks for the high-value post of the Voice of Experience, with documented events and times.

The local RAS delivery boys that HD often contracts with almost got me on a Black Friday sale electric stove delivery. They called me up when they were 45 minutes away two hours before their delivery window opened. I told them I wasn't there and I wouldn't be there until the delivery window opened. They told me they would talk to their bosses and get back to me. BS all the way. No one called me back. Sure enough, those boys rolled up 45 minutes later on the delivery address and their faces fell when they saw me standing on the porch of the delivery address. Oh no, of course they weren't going to drop it off and disappear, or just take it back and leave me hanging for a week or so! How dare I imply that was the plan all along so they could finish early? How could I possibly be so suspicious? What an a-hole, picking on poor misunderstood workingmen!

I called up HD and got a $100 bucks off the order for their delivery window shenanigans.

I think it was five years back that Lowes left me hanging for 14 days to get someone out to a rental's address to hook up a gas stove. And they never told me. Neither did the tenants. It was delivered, and the tenants just stared at the thing in the hallway for two weeks until the installer got out there.

I agree that it was wise to connect with the local HD store manager. I have long fostered a good business relationship with mine. A lot of crap goes easier when the local big boss is shepherding your bigger install orders through, or you have to order materials or appliance deliveries from multiple stores (it's also happened to me).

This is the sort of thing I think about when I see recent college grads posting about how they're planning on running seven BRRRRs a year and they're sure their biggest problems are going to be dealing with the banks.

Wow ! Talk about being conniving. 

I've had some experience with this type of thing, but not as bad. Lowe's didn't take the old fridge from a 2nd floor apartment because it was "too heavy".  Yes, it's heavy, that's why I paid them to take it, not me! After I called to get them sent back, they said they couldn't get into the apartment - they went to the wrong door, after having entered the correct door just a few days earlier to deliver the new fridge.  I had to keep calling until they finally went back.  My husband and I took the old fridge apart as much as we could to lighten it for them.  Another time this happened with a smaller fridge and the manager went out with his own pickup truck and get it after the crews kept saying they'd take it but not showing up.  I buy a lot of stuff from Lowe's and I know it's as hard for them to hire good employees as it is for all of us.  

Passive investment....riiight....

I had an electric range replaced. Figured I'd use the free delivery and haul away mainly so I didn't have to haul it away. Eventually the installer comes over and tells me they cant push the range all the way back due to the plug being in the wrong spot. Said I needed an electrician to move it.

Ended up being the stupid anti-tip bracket that they screwed into the wood floors in the wrong spot. I removed the bracket, tossed it into a cabinet, and pushed the range into place.

In my market here in Connecticut both Lowe's and Home Depot use the same delivery company and they are a complete nightmare to deal with. I have 4 or 5 stories from over the years similar to what the OP stated. Now the only way we will even consider buying an appliance delivered by them is if it is substantially cheaper than the competition and I mean substantially. When we do we have one of our guys there supervising and ensuring that they take the old appliance with them.

We use a local appliance place that isn't that much more expensive (sometimes even cheaper) and they have their own delivery people on staff who are very professional and courteous. 

@Chinmay J. Just be glad it wasn’t a new roof you had replaced by the big box store. I did a roof about 10 years ago with Lowe’s and had nothing but trouble with the “roofers” and no help from Lowe’s I still do business with Lowe’s but never have them do any sort of installation. They will not take ownership. I’m sure they take the lowest bid on every project so you get what you pay for.

@Chinmay J. this isn't just a problem with how Home Depot operates. Most any large chain company it is hard to find people who take ownership of problems. They hire third party contractors to do work, so they have limited control. They hide behind policies. 

It is pretty standard that you need to report damage at the time of delivery. I have received dented appliances from multiple companies. It is just part of the business. You have to open and inspect any appliance the day you get it. I wouldn't even sign for it before doing so. This isn't even just appliances. Industry standard for shipping carriers requires you make note of damage quickly if you want to make a claim. Usually within 1-2 days of delivery or they reject the claim. Be aware of this no matter who you order from.

Personally, I use a local appliance company. The installer has been installing dishwashers for 20 years and is a direct employee of the company. Maybe I could save a couple bucks going to HD, but in the end the hassle isn't worth it. My time has value.

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

@Chinmay J. this isn't just a problem with how Home Depot operates. Most any large chain company it is hard to find people who take ownership of problems. They hire third party contractors to do work, so they have limited control. They hide behind policies. 

It is pretty standard that you need to report damage at the time of delivery. I have received dented appliances from multiple companies. It is just part of the business. You have to open and inspect any appliance the day you get it. I wouldn't even sign for it before doing so. This isn't even just appliances. Industry standard for shipping carriers requires you make note of damage quickly if you want to make a claim. Usually within 1-2 days of delivery or they reject the claim. Be aware of this no matter who you order from.

Personally, I use a local appliance company. The installer has been installing dishwashers for 20 years and is a direct employee of the company. Maybe I could save a couple bucks going to HD, but in the end the hassle isn't worth it. My time has value.

I have always used my guys to do the install only because they usually do it in 48 hrs of me telling them, and not because knowledge about these issues with the contractors they use. 

Updated 10 months ago

My guys also match the HD install prices...

@Chinmay J. , back to the question of electrical grounding. 

In 1995, you are correct there would certainly be a ground wire for all electrical connections in a house. However, it may not be GFCI protected. I believe today's standard required GFCI protection for dishwashers. 

I have a GFCI outlet installed under the sink and then put a cord on dishwashers so that they are easy to unplug and slide out for service/replacement. Alternatively you can use a GFCI breaker for a hard wired dishwasher. 

You might want to check if you have GFCI protection before the installer shows up. 

@Chinmay J.

We have never had problems with HD. They do installs for us here in the twin cities.

See if you can meet with store management. File a formal complaint. Explain that you run a business.

With over 50 years in the business I can attest the previous posts were spot on.  NEVER have them do the installs.  Whenever possible buy from locals who will match price and give better service, as in they have it in stock where the big 2 seldom do

Agree w above mentioned about ordering vs in stock. Here in Canada for whatever reason the big box stores get stock from Quebec... I've never had an order miss delivery date by less than 14 days. After the third time (2 HD, 1 Lowes) I started buying local where if you see it they have it in stock. If you get to know a long term person at those kind of places you can even call ahead. For dishwashers I have standardized so I give them a call and ask for the usual when I'm putting an offer in and they'll set it aside for a couple weeks with the understanding that they'll have no trouble putting it back on the floor and selling it for some reason I don't need it. Even if it was $30 more... I'll pay $30 to avoid the endless "press this for that" menu that nobody answers anyway at the big stores!

@Chinmay J. It was easier growing up to say the buck starts and stops with me because I had a lot less responsibilities, ties and consequences, relatively....

now whoever you hire, whoever you depend on, that starts and stops with you.

hire warranty companies and expect tenant frustration.

I’d say don’t hire Lowe’s or Home Depot people but you’d think someone could handle a simple installation.

I’m not going to fault you for thinking Home Depot installation was convenient, cost effective and practical. However the minute they sent someone and that guy messed up, you should have cut ties, got a refund for inconvenience and gave that to your handyman to install.

Never keep the same company that made problems if you can get your money and get someone else who is better In property management it is important.

Your handyman would have unboxed it within that two days and you would have been ok

However the door problem you have now. That sounds awful. I would honestly keep the replacement for yourself and order this tenant a new dishwasher. Get the ball moving and get it installed. Or maybe not, I’m sure you are smart enough to figure it out with all the feed back. Anyways

Sears outlet if you can find one has dented and clearance appliances that you can save plenty of money on. 😁