Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
New Investor Floundering Around

Andrew B.
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Jun 18 2020, 08:59

I am sure this is not a unique situation so I am curious to hear what others have to say about their experience and what they are doing. I live in the Cleveland market which is known to be a strong cash-flow market but has limited upside in terms of appreciation due to flat/declining population.

I spent April 2019-April 2020 learning as much as possible via BP Podcasts, books, articles, and analyzing deals. I was unable to start making offers during that time because we needed to first save more capital and second unload our primary residence (luxury condo that had the potential to turn into an albatross since other units were selling much lower than they were purchased for and we needed to sell that before moving forward in case we needed to bring cash to close). We purchased a duplex after selling the condo and are owner-occupying one unit and renting out the other.

Now that I have capital saved and have our primary home situation sorted out, I have been evaluating deals and submitting offers. In two months, I have run 20 full deal analyses (2-3/week) where I model the acquisition, estimate the rehab, analyze holding costs during the rehab, and model the cash-out refinance and proforma cash flows after rehab/refinance. In addition to that, I am filtering through 10-15 listings a week that I can immediately tell do not fit my criteria. I get the MLS digest emails first thing in the morning so that's literally the first thing I do every day.

Based on the above and since I am new to RE investing and only have a limited amount of capital at hand, my preferred strategy for investing to start out is to full/partial BRRRRs in my local market. I have enough saved to buy two SFHs for around $110k each that would cash flow $100-200/month, using 5% vacancy, 10% maintenance/repairs, 5% capex and 0% property management. So while I could do that, I want to BRRRR because if I buy two ready to rent properties, even with the cash flow generated by them, it will take me 18-24 months to save up enough to buy another one while maintaining sufficient reserves for all properties.

The issue that I am running into is one that I know is common. I can't get any offers accepted on the MLS at a price that makes sense based on how I am evaluating deals. I am looking at B class neighborhoods so I am competing with retail buyers and anything that is priced in the range to make a BRRRR deal work ends up with multiple offers in 1-2 days after listing. I have tried to compete but have lost out on all of those offers. I did get two offers accepted but once I walked the property with a contractor/home inspector, I had to walk away because the rehab was going to be too expensive to support the deal and the seller was not willing/able to negotiate the price down.

The next logical step to me is to find off market properties not on the MLS but since wholesaling is illegal in Ohio, I am hesitant to spend a bunch of money on marketing efforts since I can't wholesale any properties that I can't personally close on.

Right now, I am continuing to research my local markets to see if any of the various municipalities have properties that work but have thus far not had any luck.

My fear is that one, some or all of these things are true:

1. My deal analysis is too conservative.

2. My criteria for properties is unrealistic (B Class neighborhood where I can buy low, renovate, and appraise high enough to get 50% or more of my capital out in a cash-out refinance).

3. My local market doesn't support the strategy I am trying to execute.

4. I am being impatient and need to keep grinding away until I build momentum.

It seems like I have the following options going forward:

1. Continue to evaluate MLS deals in my local markets and hope that the market shifts in favor of buyers in the next year.

2. Change my investment criteria and/or deal analysis assumptions to make more properties work on paper.

3. Look for off market properties not on the MLS using direct marketing efforts.

4. Look outside my local market for a market where BRRRR deals are easier to find.

I feel like I am working extremely hard but have not made any progress. I know @Brandon Turner and @David Greene always talk about the bridge analogy and I don't want to start trying to build a bunch of different bridges but I also am afraid that I am trying to build a bridge to nowhere.

Do any seasoned investors have any advice to offer?

Loading replies...