How to purchase a property with a long-deceased owner?

6 Replies

I recently discovered a vacant property in Maryland that is two townhouses.  The owner listed in the public records died in 2015 and I can find no records of a probate proceeding. It seems odd that it has set there for 5+ years, presumably with no taxes being paid, no upkeep of any sort and it hasn't run afoul of any type of code enforcement or been auctioned off.

How would I proceed to acquire such a property?

You can look on the counties website to see if the taxes are up to date or not, and where the bill is being sent to if they are. 

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

You can look on the counties website to see if the taxes are up to date or not, and where the bill is being sent to if they are. 

Thanks for the advice.  No taxes have been paid for as far back as the online records show, which is since 2017.  The bills are being sent to the vacant property.

Is there a way to acquire the property?  Do I contact the county?

Originally posted by @Paul Georgia :
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

Thanks for the advice.  No taxes have been paid for as far back as the online records show, which is since 2017.  The bills are being sent to the vacant property.

Is there a way to acquire the property?  Do I contact the county?

Drive by and leave a note on the door explaining your interest on the properties. Even if probate has started yet someone who's managing the upkeep of the properties is retrieving the mail and making sure there's no vandalism..

Maybe one of the neighbors knew the owner. Maybe they have some information for you. Hire a private investigator or a skip tracer to find some relatives. It is going to cost a few hundred $$s??