stop calling, texting, emailing, and hand writing letters.....

20 Replies

I know I'm not going to make any friends with this post... but my dear fellow investors.. do you have any idea how intrusive it is to not only get constant texts, phone calls, emails, letters (not as friends but from owner info taken from tax rolls), and now that investors are so desperate I have people calling and texting my PARENTS to see if I will sell my Texas properties. In the past 3 months I have had tenants contact me that people are knocking on the doors to talk to the owner. Seriously. This method must be working for some people, i get it. But if you get a hearty "FU" response then it's because our industry is at the point of disrupting people's daily lives, which is not cool. 
Yes, my properties have "no soliciting" signs on the front doors. Do not call list, blocking numbers, emails, etc does no good. 

Why don't you say YES! Give them the price you want and then hear the phone click. I don't mind phone calls and texts I send them market value and they usually say thank you or they give me their story how they have to make a profit and it's a business bla bla, and I totally understand. So I just tell them I can list it tomorrow on the MLS if I want to, your asking me if I want to sell and yes I do! Everything is for sale…….at the right price :).

In my market there's been a crackdown on the Do Not Call lists so we've gotten warnings not to cold-call without first doing a careful check of that list.  I don't bother cold-calling anyway.  I lead gen mostly off of social media which used to drive my market center team lead crazy, but after the call list crackdown she's more okay with my methods, hehe.

I tried the tell them yes and a price. I told them up front I knew they wouldn't like the price. Gave it to them. Then they played the let me call my partners and talk about it. That just lead to a follow up call back to me to let me know they were looking to pay half of that.

Fun story on hand-written letters. A few months ago I invested $850 for a 1000 strong mailing list with careful demographic targeting for years in residence, SFH home type, amount of equity in the home, and correlated with an increase of crime in the area (as crime is usually a major factor in getting people ready to sell and move). Broker said the company's market research showed that on a list that strong I should get at least 20 responses back, which should turn into 12 listing appointments and 9 closings. Didn't get a single response back, not one. It took three weeks to hand-write all those letters, $550 in stamps, $120 in envelopes, and all of those inputs gained zero output. The old dinosaur war horses in the brokerage refer to those as "Golden Letters" because maybe they worked back in the horse and buggy days before humans evolved opposable thumbs, but today, nada. Between that and the DNC crackdown I've finally shut them up.

Originally posted by @Arsen Atanasovski :

Why don't you say YES! Give them the price you want and then hear the phone click. I don't mind phone calls and texts I send them market value and they usually say thank you or they give me their story how they have to make a profit and it's a business bla bla, and I totally understand. So I just tell them I can list it tomorrow on the MLS if I want to, your asking me if I want to sell and yes I do! Everything is for sale…….at the right price :)

Not gonna say yes until I'm like 60 years old and ready to walk off into the sunset. But when that time comes I'll list it at my asking price. Wont sell to people that bother me, tenants, family members etc. It's just not right. 
God has truly blessed Texas and everyone wants to be here (we also have a great governor and senators). Gonna buy and hooooold for a looong time. 

Originally posted by @Ronald Allen Barney :

Fun story on hand-written letters. A few months ago I invested $850 for a 1000 strong mailing list with careful demographic targeting for years in residence, SFH home type, amount of equity in the home, and correlated with an increase of crime in the area (as crime is usually a major factor in getting people ready to sell and move). Broker said the company's market research showed that on a list that strong I should get at least 20 responses back, which should turn into 12 listing appointments and 9 closings. Didn't get a single response back, not one. It took three weeks to hand-write all those letters, $550 in stamps, $120 in envelopes, and all of those inputs gained zero output. The old dinosaur war horses in the brokerage refer to those as "Golden Letters" because maybe they worked back in the horse and buggy days before humans evolved opposable thumbs, but today, nada. Between that and the DNC crackdown I've finally shut them up.

Ronald that's interesting. I would imagine these are areas in blue states (not being political, but its just easier to mention that my applicants over the past year are all from such states). What did you switch your contact method to? Good old MLS?

Originally posted by @Keith A. :
Originally posted by @Ronald Allen Barney:

Ronald that's interesting. I would imagine these are areas in blue states (not being political, but its just easier to mention that my applicants over the past year are all from such states). What did you switch your contact method to? Good old MLS?

Florida is technically a red state, but like most red states the major metropolitan areas lean blue.  Jacksonville not as much as the other cities though and I would call it more like purple, with the red and blue fault lines running within the city itself.

Social media is my lead gen of choice for now because it's free (except for what I've paid for BP Premium) and I've depleted just about all reserve capital I had to the point I'm contemplating taking on a day job again (with my tail between my legs having to admit that when I said I was gonna go off and be a hot shot realtor and those corporate psychopaths would never see me again, I was mistaken).  Once I start getting income again I'll experiment with buying leads from a vendor, assuming a job doesn't take me out of state, in which case bye bye being an agent at all.

Letters usually work well for me and I've never gotten a "FU" response. The difference I suppose is I write my own small letter batches that are custom-tailored for a few recipients. I carefully identify properties and hand sign/ stamp all letters. If sellers have any questions, I'm more than happy to talk with them and provide any answers. I am respectful, polite, and do not badger if we cannot agree on a price. I do not send sellers waves of letters. My response rate is typically 2-3% and closing rate about 1%. Not bad for batches of 150-300 letters. The downside is it can take me 15+ hours to purchase one property. 

@Keith A. My step-son's girlfriend got a call last week from someone trying to buy one of my rental properties! How in the world did they get her phone number? She doesn't live with us, my rental properties are in my business name, it makes you wonder what kind of information is being shared from our smart devices......

@Arsen Atanasovski

That’s what I do. I tell them I’m selling my fourplex in Phoenix for $800K and they almost pass out lol. “How did you come up with those number?” They ask me. I tell them it’s my property and that’s my asking price. I haven’t heard them in a while now.

@Keith A. I’m with you. I’m getting constant mailings, calls, and texts. I’ve given them my price and tell them no negotiations - take it or leave it - and I’m not a motivated seller. For some reason I never hear a response…not sure why!

@Keith A. I get calls and postcards for properties I own but what gets me is they keep calling me on 3 whispering pine dr,  I don't own nor have I ever owned this property. It is a constant nuisance that never ends.

Originally posted by @Mike Kirby :

@Keith A. My step-son's girlfriend got a call last week from someone trying to buy one of my rental properties! How in the world did they get her phone number? She doesn't live with us, my rental properties are in my business name, it makes you wonder what kind of information is being shared from our smart devices......

lexus nexus they get my wifes maiden name also.. and bug her..  

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :

@Keith A. I get calls and postcards for properties I own but what gets me is they keep calling me on 3 whispering pine dr,  I don't own nor have I ever owned this property. It is a constant nuisance that never ends.

Yup most of the calls i get are on properties i sold 2 months ago.. since we rarely hold anything longer than 6 months.. they are all working old lists..  

I often get texts from wholesalers on two of my properties. It usually doesn't bother me and once I got a text from a wholesaler that goes to our meet up group-that was amusing.

There was one that was super rude after I told him that he should listen to the BP podcasts and he cussed me out saying "What the F makes you think I want your FN opinion, you [expletive]?" I think that dude really needs to be in another line of work!

Most the time I just take the letters and texts as I bought the right properties because now everyone wants them. :)

@Keith A. I hear you, I really do. I get texts about properties that I don’t even own. 80% of the time my phone rings it is wholesaler spam.

My experience is it’s waaaaay easier for me to change than to change others. I’ll never stop what others do but I can certainly control my response. Ignoring foolish solicitations is a muscle worth exercising.

Originally posted by @Keith A. :

I know I'm not going to make any friends with this post... but my dear fellow investors.. do you have any idea how intrusive it is to not only get constant texts, phone calls, emails, letters (not as friends but from owner info taken from tax rolls), and now that investors are so desperate I have people calling and texting my PARENTS to see if I will sell my Texas properties. In the past 3 months I have had tenants contact me that people are knocking on the doors to talk to the owner. Seriously. This method must be working for some people, i get it. But if you get a hearty "FU" response then it's because our industry is at the point of disrupting people's daily lives, which is not cool. 
Yes, my properties have "no soliciting" signs on the front doors. Do not call list, blocking numbers, emails, etc does no good. 

I doubt door knocking works. It's just that the people doing it don't know any better.

My father passed away a few years ago and Mom in FL finally got around to writing a will. My sister is the executor and the rest of the siblings are all named as beneficiaries. Low and behold I am now getting postcards from an "interested buyer" for my mom's house, but with my sister's name sent to my house in MD. Wondering who at the law firm who did the will sold that info.