Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dominick Galinis
  • New to Real Estate
  • Tennessee
Votes |
This or that? Need help with options

Dominick Galinis
  • New to Real Estate
  • Tennessee
Posted Sep 22 2021, 06:03

Hello BP fam! 

Would love to pick your amazing minds on where to put my money.

a bit of a backstory: I make good money at a job I can tolerate. So I’m not looking to retire next year. But, I do want to get my rental income as close to my expenses as possible so if I wanted to say, take a 3 week vacation, I won’t feel it financially in my bills (I work commission, no PTO) at the end of the year I’ll have around $80K to put towards something.

now, my two options:

A) I put all of the money toward a new construction house. Based on the numbers, I'll have anywhere from $30K-$60K of built in equity just from the price of the house ($30K off the bat for sure, but I could see it rise to $60K since the house is in a very high appreciating market). This would take around 10 months to complete, however, and then I can cash out refi my money back and possibly do it again. The downside I see here is I don't see my money for 10 months and I would have to pay the note out of pocket until the house is complete. I can afford that. And the COC% before refi is around 9%.

B) I use the money I have to buy 3 "smaller" properties in the Midwest. The COC% would be better prior to refi, but I wouldn't be able to pull my money out for a while until equity is built or what have you. It would bring me closer to the goal of not needing to worry about bills now, but I question the long term plan of it.

Bonus option C, something else that I’m unaware of.

thank you guys so much for your time and advice!

Loading replies...