Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Thomas Dickinson
  • Investor
  • Sf Bay Area
Votes |
What should I buy next with my current finances.

Patrick Thomas Dickinson
  • Investor
  • Sf Bay Area
Posted Oct 27 2021, 20:55

Okay Bigger Pockets Folks

The time has come for me to make some decisions:

My situation: I live in Sf Bay Area in California. I own two Single Family Home Rentals currently. One in California and one in Texas Both are currently rented. I am currently cashflowing about 800$ a month with both properties.

I just completed a Cash Out Refi on the California property and now have 200,000$ Liquid cash, as well as additional 50000K liquid cash for reserves/emergency funds etc. The lender who did my cash out said based on my dti ratio they will lend me an additional $400,000 ( currently preapproved for this) . So max I have is $600,000, although I don't know if I want to spend all of this.

My Goals:

I want to scale fairly quickly, I am 35 years old now and I want to have sufficient amount of units/ properties by the age of 45. I just started reading the multi family millionaire and learned about the stack method etc. So I am thinking my next move will be a out of State 4plex. One thing I found interesting in the book is when he talks about not scaling fast enough because your in your comfort zone. I don't want to do this. So I'm thinking large scale( 4 plex and bigger )at least within the next 10 to 15 years.

- Have enough (take home after tax pure cash flow) from my properties to match my current w2 net income ( which roughly 7500$ to $11000 monthly)

- Not create a lifestyle where I am so immersed in my real estate investments that I cannot enjoy life. I self manage two newer properties right now that don't give me to many problems currently. So basically the less problems, the better. I would be willing to pay people to have less work and problems. Ie property management etc.

IM REALLY MAKING THIS POST BECAUSE ITS NOT EVERY DAY THAT I HAVE 200,000 CASH IN MY HANDS. I REALLY FEEL LIKE THIS NEXT DEAL OR DEALS THAT I DO WILL BE PARAMOUNT TO HOW MUCH I SCALE IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE.

MY QUESTION TO EVERYONE.

-WITH MY FINANCES THAT YOU HAVE SEEN ABOVE WHAT WOULD YOU DO. ?

Below is my thoughts.

Buy more SFH? I want to get bigger and create enough cashflow to replace my w2. Seems difficult in the sfh area

Buy one multifamily property or maybe even two.? Any ideas on areas where you can buy 4plexs or duplexes built post 1960 for under 300k each, I know the midwest 8), a lot of multifamily properties are old though, any areas with newer multifamily that you recommend.

Would you pay cash for one property outright or buy multiple properties and just put down the minimum 25% and buy the rest with leverage from the bank. ?

Anything else you care to add.

Loading replies...