Commerical Property Management

3 Replies

I provide property management services for the residential sector in the North Atlanta Area.  I have had several inquiries on commercial property management services and thinking about expanding my services to include commercial. 

Any advice on the following would be a huge help:

- Fee Structure (Residential structure is 1 month rent for leasing, 8% management and $300 renewal

- Operational items that may be different from residential.

- Legal, risk management issues that may be different from residential.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Fee structure and operational complexity really depends on the size of the project (# of tenants), complexity of leases (expense reimbursements.e tc) and needs of ownership (REIT accounting requirements, frequency of reporting, leasing?, etc). In the Bay Area for single tenant NNN deals owned by institutions, I see 3% of EGR as a pretty standard management fee. In general for commercial prop management, I would structure the fee as a % of base rent or EGR though.

I suggest you consult a lawyer for an answer to your legal ramification question.

Thank you for the feedback Bob!!!  This is a retail strip with 10 store fronts, half of which are vacant.

Originally posted by @Bob Thomas :

Fee structure and operational complexity really depends on the size of the project (# of tenants), complexity of leases (expense reimbursements.e tc) and needs of ownership (REIT accounting requirements, frequency of reporting, leasing?, etc). In the Bay Area for single tenant NNN deals owned by institutions, I see 3% of EGR as a pretty standard management fee. In general for commercial prop management, I would structure the fee as a % of base rent or EGR though.

I suggest you consult a lawyer for an answer to your legal ramification question.

Why would anyone/institutions pay a property management company to handle NNN properties ? That's what's awesome about NNN they run themselves pretty much.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here