Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
David Ronka
Votes |
Should I pull the trigger?

David Ronka
Posted Jan 29 2019, 19:38

Full disclosure: My partner and I are complete newbies to wholesaling and commercial real estate. We had no intention of getting into commercial, but in the process of looking for residential properties to wholesale we came across a FSBO commercial deal. It's a 2,000SF former bank branch on an acre lot. Solid construction on a corner lot with plenty of parking. The owner (he was using it as a small church) took a liking to me and my partner, saying, "I like you. How can we make this work?"

I did a crash course in evaluating commercial property, and here are the numbers based on the nearest comps (in terms of potential lease/SF): Most recent tax appraisal: $240,000. Asking price: $230,000. He chose not to list with a realtor who wanted to price it at $260,000. No major rehab that I can tell -- I'm estimating $10k for cosmetics. EGI ~ $32,000 (based on triple net); NOI ~ $20,000; Cash on Return ~ 8.7%; Cap Rate ~ 7.8%; DSCR: 1.5. Zoning says it can be used as restaurant or recreation or retail with a site plan review.

There aren't many comps, so the numbers are rough. I have an attorney who can hold my hand through the process. I'm thinking I make an offer (below asking?) and then market hard to find my cash buyer. But this is my first time around the block AND IT'S SCARY to contemplate pulling the trigger! Any words of wisdom or encouragement out there? Heeeeeeeelp....

Loading replies...