• Covington, LA
Votes |
Post foreclosure bank charge off

Will Sifert
  • Investor
  • Covington, LA
Posted Sep 16 2013, 09:52

Hi,

I am hoping to get a little information about what happens to a property after it is foreclosed on then later charged off. One of the units in my condo building was foreclosed on about 4 years ago. As far as I could tell from the recorded records the bank still owns the unit. I see where it went to a foreclosure sale in 2009 and the bank was the high bidder and bought it back at the sale. There are no other documents that I can find recoded since then in regards to this unit.

I contacted the bank recently as I was interested in buying the unit and they told me that they charged it off and no longer own it, that the previous owner who was foreclosed on owns it again. I asked if the owner was aware that they own it again and the bank said they may not know.

Full disclosure, I am also on the hoa board and the owner who was foreclosed on sued the hoa board and lost, so I would rather not contact her until I know for sure that she does own the unit again. Also no hoa dues have been paid for a long time as we have been sending the notices to the bank.

Does this all make sense, if the bank forecloses on you then later charges it off, do you regain ownership? If so should I be able to find something recorded stating this? And is it possible if all of that is true that the owner doesn't know that they own it again? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks

Loading replies...