What is the best way to tie up a property?

What is the best way to tie up a property?

Real Estate Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 2 votes

I am getting into short sales and was wondering what you all are using to tie up properties. From what I have read there are three popular methods...

-warranty deed
-land trust
-option contract

Thanks for your input!

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
16y
Originally posted by Dave Stevens:


Would this recorded "notice of purchase & sale agreement" prevent any liens from being attached to the property?


As a general rule it will not. Check with your title company or attorney as laws will vary from state to state.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    The only way to get a warranty deed is to actually buy a property.

    A land trust can be set up to try to hide the ownership of a property.

    Neither of these will "tie up" a property.

    Buying an option contract from the seller would work. If you can get the seller to do it.

    A purchase and sale agreement is the simplest way. You write a contract with the seller to buy the property for a specific amount.

    Keep in mind that in a short sale, the seller's signature is needed, but pretty worthless. Who really matters is the lender who's taking the short. Without their acceptance, you have nothing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Just to clarify, a purchase and sale agreement would prevent another investor from stealing the deal from me? I have a good understanding of the rest of the business but this is the last thing that seems to be stumping me.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    I may be new to the game but from what i understand most use the option contracts or a P&S Agreement. And what makes it binding (no one can steal deal from you) is that there is consideration ($$) ie an earnest money deposit. with short sales you need more paperwork hardship letter, authorization release, taxes stubs and a couple more items. Correct me if wrong but if you use an option you need to record it w/ city recorder for you to show on title if planning to flip the property.

    I would imagine if you find the right seller, theyre willing to get this paperwork handled if theyre truly motivated. So that shouldnt be too difficult.

    The difficult part will be negotiating with the bank. Does anyone have any good threads relating to short negotiations and what you should do to make a bank really consider the offer. Will proof of cash funds help @ all??

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    16y

    Andrew,

    it sounds like your lack of knowledge on how to do a short sale will make doing one very difficult for you. You would have an easier time trying to assign a contract on a whole sale flip.
    Good luck

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · yucaipa, CA · Member since 2008 · 233 posts · 109 votes
    16y

    I agree with Curt. Knowledge is Key. The paperwork involved with short sales alone, should be enough to make you choose another target market. In my opinion, Short Sales, unless your dealing with a local community Bank, one on one, are a big waste of time. Choose a niche' where the Herd of other Investors are not!! In spite of all the Short Sale and REO properties on the market, they represent less than 2% of all housing. Over 30% of all home owners today-don't even have a mortgage. 68% are paying their mortgages on time but may want to sell.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2010 · 54 posts · 1 vote
    16y
    Originally posted by Matt Mathews:
    Choose a niche' where the Herd of other Investors are not!! In spite of all the Short Sale and REO properties on the market, they represent less than 2% of all housing. Over 30% of all home owners today-don't even have a mortgage. 68% are paying their mortgages on time but may want to sell.

    Matt, you make a great point and it's a real eye opener.

  • Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    16y

    Andy,
    There is a lot to learn if you want to close short sales and not just "work on them". There are right ways to do them and ways that will just waste your time and end in frustration. This alone makes this niche worthwhile since many try and most just end up frustrated since they don't have the proper knowledge.
    To answer your question, you may record a "notice of option" at the county recorders office if using an option contract or a "notice of purchase and sale agreement"/"memorandum of agreement" if using a p and s agreement. This will cloud the title and prevent someone else from "stealing" your deal.
    For more info on how to be successful with short sales, contact me... Good luck!

  • Investor · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by David Braut:
    Andy,
    There is a lot to learn if you want to close short sales and not just "work on them". There are right ways to do them and ways that will just waste your time and end in frustration. This alone makes this niche worthwhile since many try and most just end up frustrated since they don't have the proper knowledge.
    To answer your question, you may record a "notice of option" at the county recorders office if using an option contract or a "notice of purchase and sale agreement"/"memorandum of agreement" if using a p and s agreement. This will cloud the title and prevent someone else from "stealing" your deal.
    For more info on how to be successful with short sales, contact me... Good luck!


    Would this recorded "notice of purchase & sale agreement" prevent any liens from being attached to the property?
  • Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Dave Stevens:


    Would this recorded "notice of purchase & sale agreement" prevent any liens from being attached to the property?


    As a general rule it will not. Check with your title company or attorney as laws will vary from state to state.
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Hi, if you have a good option, it will spell out that your have the option to buy the property in it's current condition, nothwistanding normal wear and tear, etc. and with good and merhantable title. Now if that's spelled out and any lien or encumbrances if filed after that date, it is the sellers obligation to clear that, some options I have seen made not mention of title conveyance or liens of record..However if it's for very much, it might not happen since the seller will only get about $1,500, so if he can't do it, you pay more or the bank allows it or walk away. You could also have recourse against the seller, but who knows what that is worth. This business has risks, finding out what the seller has done lately, like having work done on the property that has not been paid for should be covered up front. Good Luck, Bill

  • Electrical Contractor · Washington DC, Washington D.C. · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    I would definitely agree that short sales are a more advanced form of RE investing. I think the best thing to do is to learn how to do them from someone in your area who is currently doing them. It may take you several months to really figure out all the complexities, nuances and laws.

    But... Considering that there were 3 million foreclosures last year and possibly 7 million this year, its well worth it to take the time to learn how to do them correctly.

    A suggestion concerning your question though; a lot of lenders are getting wise to land trusts and option contracts. It seems better just to use a standard purchase and sale agreement. Then you MUST have a short sale addendum if you want to flip the property. The addendum will have the proper wording that will give constructive notice of your intent to re-sell at a profit. This will help the C buyer's underwriter understand your transaction.

    You would want to record a notice of contract for the same reason. It will also protect your position.

    I would also suggest that you don't want to think of yourself as 'tying up' properties. Real estate is really a business about helping people and if you're dealing with distressed homeowners you should want to be respectful of their situation.

    I also agree that the fastest way to get some real cash in your pocket is by doing a few wholesale deals while you're learning shorts sales.

    Good Luck!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Thank you all for your input. I know there is much to learn in short sales and I have studied the other steps in the process. For me this is the last piece of the puzzle before I feel comfortable taking the plunge.

    I will be sure to be more detailed and use better word choice in further posts. I know that short sales takes a lot of work and that I am focused on helping good people out of bad situations and not "tying" up a property.

    I just want to be able to be able to focus solely on solving the homeowners problem and not worry about whether another investor is going to be able to swoop in.

    Again, I appreciate all those who where encouraging and helpful.

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Thank you all for your input. I know there is much to learn in short sales and I have studied the other steps in the process. For me this is the last piece of the puzzle before I feel comfortable taking the plunge.

    I will be sure to be more detailed and use better word choice in further posts. I know that short sales takes a lot of work and that I am focused on helping good people out of bad situations and not "tying" up a property.

    I just want to be able to be able to focus solely on solving the homeowners problem and not worry about whether another investor is going to be able to swoop in.

    Again, I appreciate all those who where encouraging and helpful.

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Thank you all for your input. I know there is much to learn in short sales and I have studied the other steps in the process. For me this is the last piece of the puzzle before I feel comfortable taking the plunge.

    I will be sure to be more detailed and use better word choice in further posts. I know that short sales takes a lot of work and that I am focused on helping good people out of bad situations and not "tying" up a property.

    I just want to be able to be able to focus solely on solving the homeowners problem and not worry about whether another investor is going to be able to swoop in.

    Again, I appreciate all those who where encouraging and helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.