Would you purchase a house that haunted?

119 Replies

I have a feeling this may be the first time something like this has been asked on BP.

I am finally about to put a bid on my very first property and it’s a foreclosure. When people say ‘if it’s too good to be true it usually is’, they are not kidding!

I did the numbers on the property and before placing a bid had my son reach out to a friend who lived in the house a few years back. She confirmed some things we had already known and gave of some new info as well. It was sounding like a win when she said ‘The only thing is it’s seriously haunted! The woman never was violent but I thought you should know.’ What???

At first we laughed, until she described in detail many instances during the time she lived there.

I could try to ignore what she said and go through with the bid but I started to think....if this is really what’s going on in the house and I decide to sell, rent or Airbnb a few years from now who is going to want to buy it or stay there?!

Am I crazy to want to still bid on it?

Seriously??  Bid on the property if it is a good deal. You can always call ghostbusters, lol.

Michelle,

I can assure you, that house is not haunted.  Don't be persuaded by her superstitious beliefs.  If you think it's a good house and it's a good price, then buy it and don't worry about not being able to sell it or rent it out in the future because of ghosts.  There are no ghosts haunting that house.  

Is it 1950?   Unless 12 year old boys are telling stories about the home and crushing its market value on the internet, you should be fine. 

And everyone know Ghosts aren't real.  Only werewolves and vampires. 

@Michelle Bulich . Who ya gonna call?? Ghostbusters!!

I actually thought I saw a ghost once,but that’s a story for another time. I’d buy the house if it’s a good deal

Michelle- I would bid on the house. Everything will be just fine.

@Michelle Bulich

Seriously, I would absolutely not “touch”/buy any haunted house. They will become your headaches soon if you do.

I would never purchase... a house.

But haunted could be a good unique selling proposition. 

@Michelle Bulich

This is FAR from the first time something like this has been posted here.

I WOULD BUY THAT PLACE IN A HEARTBEAT.

Then I would get as much "documentation" and "witness accounts" on it being haunted as possible. Then I would cash in. For a piddling sum, I know a Greek Orthodox priest will come to your house in a robe and bless it with holy water and prayers, get that on video. Don't know what the Catholics do, but figure it out with them and if you can get some backwoods charismatic preacher in there handling snakes...oh, the potential.

Get the weirdest-looking psychic readers you can find in there, again, get in on video. These people will do this this kind of thing for just the exposure. Call the ghost shows, see if you can schedule a visit for an episode, that's pure pay dirt.

Make up the wildest backstory you can and mock up some documentation. Focus your efforts on demonic possession, orgiastic Satanic cult rituals, black magic, murder-suicide storylines. Fill the house with haunted mirrors, creepy dolls, vintage music boxes, china figurines, photograph them in place, and you can rotate new  furnishings in an out every few weeks as you sell the old ones on eBay.

But the bulk of your revenue is going to come from Airbnb, where you will loudly and proudly advertise your haunted house experience.

PEOPLE WILL COME.

@Michelle Bulich

One of my clients has a “haunted house”. When he first bought it, doing the rehab we would hear an occasional strange noise, but brushed it off as it was a half-double and figured it was just noise from the other side. During the rehab, the next door neighbor asked me if we were there working late, he heard noises around midnight. We weren’t.. got it rented, tenant was there 5 years. After he left I asked him if he ever had any weirdness. He said once or twice, but I can’t remember what he said. I later ran into the guy that used to have the house, first thing he said was it was haunted!

After the tenant moved out, I was there fixing it up, I cleaned up the basement one day. Next day I went down into the basement and found 22 shells on the floor. I completely swept up the previous day.. new tenant 1.5 years now and she hasn’t said anything. So who knows..

I would buy it.

@Jim K. Do they teach that business plan at the McRib investment seminar? I feel like all I need to do now is find a haunted house and start cashing checks! Can't believe your giving this info away for free.

@Michelle Bulich Only my humble opinion, but, just see if you can find out if there were any deaths in the property.

Originally posted by @Matt P. :

@Jim K. Do they teach that business plan at the McRib investment seminar? I feel like all I need to do now is find a haunted house and start cashing checks! Can't believe your giving this info away for free.

Just a teaser. If you sign up now for our signature Mystery Meat and Houses investment seminar packages for $9,995 we'll do a deep dive into incredible next-level investment strategies for poltergeist lairs and coven meetinghouses in addition to haunted houses as add-on revenue streams. I personally do a session on the practical points of turning pet cemeteries into stunning new mobile home parks.

If the numbers make sense I’d buy anything

@Jim K. Now that sounds just like the kind of soul challenge I have been searching for. I'll PM you about where to send the check.

Have you considered posting a notice to vacate? Paranormal or not, no pay, no stay.

@Michelle i would have reservations. Whether it is actually haunted or not, people are superstitious. If it has a reputation for being haunted that could turn renters or buyers away. Just a thought. I’ve talked with people who won’t buy houses that people have died in. Weird but true.

@James Destef actually it’s 1940! All original layout and woodwork. I just bid on it this morning...we’ll see. 

I can handle a ghost or 2.

@Jim K. Close friends of ours who invest said the same thing. “Make the most of it because there are people out there that would eat this up. Whether you decide to rent or Airbnb down the road, there are people who would pay big to stay in something like that!” Time will tell...

@Andrew Boettcher haha

We’ll  see how it goes just put the bid on it this morning. I’m so excited, it’s my very first bid! ..And it’s on a potentially haunted house. Smh

Originally posted by @Daniel Townsend :

@Michelle i would have reservations. Whether it is actually haunted or not, people are superstitious. If it has a reputation for being haunted that could turn renters or buyers away. Just a thought. I’ve talked with people who won’t buy houses that people have died in. Weird but true.

I'm inclined to agree with Daniel on this, though I admit, on the flip side of that coin is the potential draw from haunted house connoisseurs. 

That said it comes down to the question "How risk-averse am I?" Since the property has a reputation for being haunted, you could end up in a situation where tenant retention becomes a challenge. Since it sounds like you've put your bid in today, I'm wishing you the best of luck! 

Originally posted by @Michelle Bulich :

@Kyle Schlosser I am planning on hitting the town records dept tomorrow. We’ll see...

If you don't find any "evidence," rip a page out of the old deed books, eat it right there, and claim the ghost made you do it. It's all about laying the foundation for the crazy.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here