Foreclosure in Hawaii

9 Replies

Originally posted by @Scott Kidd :

Does anyone have experience with purchasing pre-foreclosures in Oahu, Hawaii?

Not in HI. Not sure the process is going to be really any different than pre-forclosure in some other state.  Trust deed states vs judicial procedure states are different yet there is still a lot of overlap.

What do you need to know? 

@John Corey

I just came here from Texas where the notice of trustee sale was posted anywhere from 60 to 14 days prior to the public auction on the counties website. Almost all the postings would actually hit in that 30-45 day window which usually gave us plenty of time to contact the owners about selling for cash prior to the auction.

Here in Hawaii I can’t find anything on the county courts webpages for public filings and the Star Advertisers listings don’t allow for historical data pulls, at least from what I can see.

I would like to make an offer to the owner prior to auction and without dealing with a realtor and it seems.

Every foreclosure I've ever done in Hawaii turned into a judicial foreclosure because of the delays and pitfalls of non judicial. It just didn't make sense to go non judicial for us. The cost was the same but going non judicial, we had many more hoops we had to jump through, like the foreclosure dispute resolution program that made it prohibitive. We avoid that program in judicial. 

@Ron S.

You’ll have to forgive some of my inexperience in the judicial versus non-judicial process here. Everything I’m used to is from back in Texas where a foreclosure proceeding has to be files with the county courthouse prior to auction.

With the non-judicial is that just the lien-holder(s) exercising their right to call the note due without any legal process?

Originally posted by @Scott Kidd:

@Ron S.

You’ll have to forgive some of my inexperience in the judicial versus non-judicial process here. Everything I’m used to is from back in Texas where a foreclosure proceeding has to be files with the county courthouse prior to auction.

With the non-judicial is that just the lien-holder(s) exercising their right to call the note due without any legal process?

@scott kidd - Yes. But while Hawaii does have a non judicial process, many lenders go the judicial route. Oregon was very similar for a while. had both judicial and non judicial and the non judicial was laden with so many hoops that lenders just went judicial.