washer/dryer in apts? good idea?

3 Replies

Anyone have experience offering washer/dryer in individual apartments? I know there are postings here in regards to common area laundry rooms and the lease vs buy alternatives but wondered if anyone had experience upgrading apartments to include washer/dryers. Is it worth it?

In my opinion and experience, any appliance that is in the unit has to be maintained by landlord/owner, unless it's documented in the lease regarding the maintenance of additional appliances.

I wouldn't do it, but I may have a plumber install a washer/dryer hookup.

Peter I think the most important questions for this or any rental amenity is what is the competition doing. Is this common in the market your are competing in; do you feel its important to attract desireable tenants; would it be seen as a negative if you did not provide it.

I have some rentals that I do provide washer and dryer, and some I don't based on the market in which they are located.

I think it depends on your price point as well. People will expect them in higher priced apartments, but lower income renters don't expect them. It's a good selling point if there's much competition, at whatever price. If you have a SFR, hookups are probably adequate. Apartment dwellers are less likely to own their own machines though.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here