Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2021 · 55 posts · 22 votes
I’ve been underwriting a lot of multifamily deals lately, and one thing I’ve been working on is improving my initial pass — the quick screen I do before committing time to a full 10-year model.
To make that easier, I’ve been building out a cleaner deal dashboard. The screenshot below is from one of my test underwrites. It isn’t based on a real listing. I was simply running assumptions through the template to see how everything flows and to make sure the logic holds up.
Before I take a deal deeper, I usually look at:
• Whether the rent lift is realistic for the submarket
• Expense ratios and per-unit benchmarks
• Early-year DSCR and operating margins
• Yield-on-cost at stabilization vs market cap rates
• Whether the renovation scope actually supports the proforma
If a deal looks good after that quick screen, then I’ll run it through a deeper underwriting.
I’m always curious how other investors here approach this.
What do you look at during your early-stage underwriting?
Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
9mo
@Gabe Goudreau - I agree with your metrics you're looking at as an initial pass. I've found the rental/income increase is the biggest determining variable for opportunities. If you have significant rental revenue increase potential (20+%), then the next biggest area to understand for me is the capital/renovation budget to get those ideal rents.
Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
9mo
@Gabe Goudreau - I agree with your metrics you're looking at as an initial pass. I've found the rental/income increase is the biggest determining variable for opportunities. If you have significant rental revenue increase potential (20+%), then the next biggest area to understand for me is the capital/renovation budget to get those ideal rents.
@Gabe Goudreau - I agree with your metrics you're looking at as an initial pass. I've found the rental/income increase is the biggest determining variable for opportunities. If you have significant rental revenue increase potential (20+%), then the next biggest area to understand for me is the capital/renovation budget to get those ideal rents.
Thank you, Greg! I just look at it like a math question at the end of the day to ask myself: "is the juice worth the squeeze"?!
@Gabe Goudreau - I agree with your metrics you're looking at as an initial pass. I've found the rental/income increase is the biggest determining variable for opportunities. If you have significant rental revenue increase potential (20+%), then the next biggest area to understand for me is the capital/renovation budget to get those ideal rents.
Totally agree with Greg! Rent lift potential is the starting point, but the renovation budget assumptions usually take the most time to nail down.
Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
5mo
I look at the location first. If I like the location and it's in my buy-box, I underwrite the deal. I'll find the price it works at for me and make an offer.
My only quick-pass criteria is whether it's something I would want to own.
I used to think of it as a math problem (BA and MS in Mathematics here), but it's really more of looking at a property and an area and asking yourself if you believe it'll be better 5 years from now. Of course, the math still needs to math right.
I look at the location first. If I like the location and it's in my buy-box, I underwrite the deal. I'll find the price it works at for me and make an offer.
My only quick-pass criteria is whether it's something I would want to own.
I used to think of it as a math problem (BA and MS in Mathematics here), but it's really more of looking at a property and an area and asking yourself if you believe it'll be better 5 years from now. Of course, the math still needs to math right.
Same here, that's the first step before even launching into the whole underwriting process for me. I always think of the old adage, even if it's a little cliche - location, location, location.
I look at the location first. If I like the location and it's in my buy-box, I underwrite the deal. I'll find the price it works at for me and make an offer.
My only quick-pass criteria is whether it's something I would want to own.
I used to think of it as a math problem (BA and MS in Mathematics here), but it's really more of looking at a property and an area and asking yourself if you believe it'll be better 5 years from now. Of course, the math still needs to math right.
Same here, that's the first step before even launching into the whole underwriting process for me. I always think of the old adage, even if it's a little cliche - location, location, location.
I've seen people advertise 10-minute underwriting and quick checks... Surprisingly, those are rather simplistic. Like I said, if it's a property I want, I'm underwriting it. If not, I won't. That's why your buy-box criteria is so important.