Greeting;
Today, while gathering information for obtaining a bid on 7,200 sq ft of flat roof for a 38 unit apartment complex, I was told that in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, if a permit is pulled for a re-roof, prior to issuing the permit, the building department must inspect and verify that R20 insulation is in the rafters.
No R20, no re-roof permit.
How long has this requirement been in place?
DL
@Ben Leybovich this (insulation) looks to be (approximately) another $12,000 capex every 12 to 15 years (flat commercial roof) in addition to the roof itself. (Assuming that they put rigid insulation boards down under the rubber roof, as opposed to taking down the ceiling of all of the upstairs apartments, installing R20 insulation between the ceiling joists, and then reinstalling drywall, texture and paint. Ben, I've never seen this discussed on BP. Is this an Ohio "green" statute or is this just a "Hamilton County" requirement?
Greeting;
Today, while gathering information for obtaining a bid on 7,200 sq ft of flat roof for a 38 unit apartment complex, I was told that in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, if a permit is pulled for a re-roof, prior to issuing the permit, the building department must inspect and verify that R20 insulation is in the rafters.
No R20, no re-roof permit.
How long has this requirement been in place?
DL
@Ben Leybovich this (insulation) looks to be (approximately) another $12,000 capex every 12 to 15 years (flat commercial roof) in addition to the roof itself. (Assuming that they put rigid insulation boards down under the rubber roof, as opposed to taking down the ceiling of all of the upstairs apartments, installing R20 insulation between the ceiling joists, and then reinstalling drywall, texture and paint. Ben, I've never seen this discussed on BP. Is this an Ohio "green" statute or is this just a "Hamilton County" requirement?
@DL Martin I might be able to help. PM me.
Greeting;
Today, while gathering information for obtaining a bid on 7,200 sq ft of flat roof for a 38 unit apartment complex, I was told that in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, if a permit is pulled for a re-roof, prior to issuing the permit, the building department must inspect and verify that R20 insulation is in the rafters.
No R20, no re-roof permit.
How long has this requirement been in place?
DL
@Ben Leybovich this (insulation) looks to be (approximately) another $12,000 capex every 12 to 15 years (flat commercial roof) in addition to the roof itself. (Assuming that they put rigid insulation boards down under the rubber roof, as opposed to taking down the ceiling of all of the upstairs apartments, installing R20 insulation between the ceiling joists, and then reinstalling drywall, texture and paint. Ben, I've never seen this discussed on BP. Is this an Ohio "green" statute or is this just a "Hamilton County" requirement?
Flat roofs are a pin in the *** in Mid West. I was once on a roof with 2 feet of standing water. If you are flipping it, then pay for the insulation and sell to an idiot. And if you're looking to hold an old PIG with a flat roof in Cinci - well, you are the idiot! hahaha
Seriously, DL - these flat roofs cannot be held long term. They are nothing but one leak after the next. The only thing worse are the boilers... I won't buy a building that requires to hold more than 5 years with a flat roof!
Flat roofs are horrible, if its a keeper I'd frame a real roof over it.
Points taken Ben.
But I am in a position where I have to 1031 forward gains from the sale of a CA 4 plex (closes tomorrow), so I have to choose from the "value add" local properties available and negotiate for the best Value Add deal that I can find.
I hate/do not believe in property management companies, so I guess I will spend the next 10-15 years "working in" my business instead of "working on" my business.
I retired this past Fall and I'm already ready to un-retire. Most people would think that taking a big, fat, obscene, unconscionable, UNSUSTAINABLE (blah blah blah) California public pension, and fleeing to the Midwest would be the ultimate golden parachute for a common, blue collar working man like myself. But if I'm not working, I'm not living. (proof positive of my limited intellectual capacity).
On a lighter note, I'm pretty happy that I've traded CA's 9.3% state income tax for Ohio's 4.4%. (and the suburb that I bought my Cincinnati home in exempts all pension income from the local income tax)
: )
Oh, and my primary residence property tax bill dropped from $8k per year (CA) to $3,700 (OH) per year. And our car insurance dropped from $2,000 per year (CA) to $850 per year (OH). And our annual vehicle registration fees dropped from $1,000 per year (CA) to $180 per year (OH). And gasoline purchases (using today's Gas Buddy prices) dropped from $4.09 per gallon (CA) to $2.56 per gallon (OH), and on and on and on...
DL
Flat roofs are horrible, if its a keeper I'd frame a real roof over it.
Seriously considering this. Thanks for the post.
DL
Ouch!!!
DL
Flat roofs are horrible, if its a keeper I'd frame a real roof over it.
I completely disagree. On the 38 unit in question, one can only imagine the staggering cost. I like flat roofs. EPDM is a wonderful material. Most roofing companies on the other hand stink.
Ouch!!!
DL
Yesterday I underwrite a 99 unit and 44 unit in Cinci. Today I underwrote an 80 unit also in Cinci. Passed on all. There are easier ways to make money than flat roofs and boilers in Mid-West. Just telling you the things I know to be true, DL :)
most of the problems around low slope roofing is design flaw or bad installation. If installed per specification (which is available on every manufacturers website) they are good systems. The mid west is still one of the regions of the U.S. where EPDM roofs are popular but the best systems today are TPO. They can be installed in various methods whether is be fully adhered or mechanically attached but the best part about them is they have heat welded seams which are the strongest point of the sheet vs. an EPDM seam which is an adheared seam and can fail if water ponds around it. You could build a pool liner out of TPO. Pounding water will not void the warranty on TPO. To control pounding water and have the correct slope for drainage, a tapered ISO insulation board can be used. The tapered design plan and take off can be geneated for very little money. Most of the problems I'm hearing here are with the roofer and not the roof b
Greeting;
Today, while gathering information for obtaining a bid on 7,200 sq ft of flat roof for a 38 unit apartment complex, I was told that in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, if a permit is pulled for a re-roof, prior to issuing the permit, the building department must inspect and verify that R20 insulation is in the rafters.
No R20, no re-roof permit.
How long has this requirement been in place?
DL
@Ben Leybovich this (insulation) looks to be (approximately) another $12,000 capex every 12 to 15 years (flat commercial roof) in addition to the roof itself. (Assuming that they put rigid insulation boards down under the rubber roof, as opposed to taking down the ceiling of all of the upstairs apartments, installing R20 insulation between the ceiling joists, and then reinstalling drywall, texture and paint. Ben, I've never seen this discussed on BP. Is this an Ohio "green" statute or is this just a "Hamilton County" requirement?
@DL Martin I might be able to help. PM me.
Serge, thanks for the info on the flat roofs/materials. I will do some research on those materials and application methods.
Why Ohio, and not AZ or FL?
Ohio has a Republican State House, Republican State Senate and Republican Governor. My vote, in California, hasn't counted in twenty years. The Florida and Arizona demographic are both rapidly trending toward liberalism.
1. Prescott is beautiful but extremely isolated. (My family and I have spent 4 of the last 5 4th of July weekends in Prescott. We attend the "World's Oldest Rodeo" every Saturday night before the 4th.) Flag is even more isolated with fewer amenities.
2. If I am going to live in the desert (Phoenix, Tuscon), then Las Vegas would be the only acceptable place to live. I once came out of a restaurant in Phoenix at 10:00 pm and it was 112 degrees. I lived in Riverside, CA and that place is hot as h$ll. Central and Southern AZ is even worse that Riverside.
3. I love Jacksonville and to a lesser extent, Gainesville and all of Central Florida. (World Class water skiing/wake boarding). Tampa/Clearwater, however, is too much like SoCal, which I finally escaped from. South Florida is great for vacation but not a place that I would want to call home. (We will probably eventually buy a winter home in Jacksonville)
4. Cincinnati has the nicest/most polite people in the world.
5. Cincinnati has division 1 college football and basketball, pro football, pro baseball, world class symphony orchestra, world class zoo, multiple major music venues, and excellent schools. My 12 year old is enrolled at the #1 public school in Ohio, #65 in the USA, per the US News and World Report Annual Ranking of Public High Schools.
6. I'm 50 years old and I've been all over the country. Cincinnati is home and always will be. : )
DL
p.s. I have a 4 wheel drive and PRAY for snow.