Advice on purchasing home with termites

Advice on purchasing home with termites

Fairview Heights, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 27 votes

Just found out during a brief inspection a home we put a offer in for has termites. Nice duplex but very disheartening. If me and my wife go through with everything it would be our 1st home. We just aren't sure what to do its a great deal and we have been looking so long and just want it to be over. But it has termites and signed of some damage. There is 1 hump  near the back door and I'm just not sure what to do at this point should I walk away. Any advice on how easy or stressful treating or even redoing termite damage could be thanks any input would help a lot 

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
11y

If your offer is accepted, you should insist on a full inspection at your expense prior to negotiating a contract. If damage is extensive walk away. If it is small and controllable use it in your negotiation.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    Termites infestation is usually a serious issue; you may not know the extent of damage that have been done  until you call in specialists for thorough assessment and confirmaton.

    Good deals will always come but being your first home, you will want to get it right...

    I will not do it if I were you; might as well be the reason for the 'great deal'.

    Good luck.....my one cent!

  • Investor · Dyersburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 320 posts · 100 votes
    11y

    It all depends on how long they have been there...It takes them a while to do serious damage.  I just got rid of an infestation at a flip and the treatment alone was 700.00.  I would recommend finding a contractor, and a exterminator and have them examine the property, get HARD quotes for repairs and deduct it from your offer.  Good Luck!

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    In my area, if the pest report shows termites, then it's a Section 1 defect and has to be fixed by the seller, then re-inspected and cleared.  Sometimes the seller will just want to give you credit at closing, but I wouldn't do that, because one does not know how extensive the damage is.  You should be sure that the infestation has been eradicated or else walk away.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · McKinney, TX · Member since 2015 · 381 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    I would walk away. It can be a huge can of worms and before purchasing a home you usually cannot open drywall to see whats going on behind. So knowing the full extent is impossible. Save deals like this for when you are a little more seasoned. 

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 140 votes
    11y

    I am currenetly working on renovating a place with extensive termite damage. They appear to have been in place for years since the wood is almost swiss cheese. It sucked to find them since I thought it was just in the porch at first only to find out that its in all four walls of the living room and in the basement. I bought some stuff online that you put in the ground. Takes a few weeks to work. In the mean time I have just been replacing damaged wood. I would still go after it again if it appears to not cause structual damage.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    If your offer is accepted, you should insist on a full inspection at your expense prior to negotiating a contract. If damage is extensive walk away. If it is small and controllable use it in your negotiation.

  • Fairview Heights, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Thanks you for all of your comments you guys are giving me some great meaningful advice for us.  I do you think it would be worth it if I could talk the seller down even more?  But then  it seems as if the general consensus is to walk away.

  • Fairview Heights, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Ok nevermind George must have been reading my mind all the way in New York. lol Thanks for the response!

  • Chester, NJ · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @Jacob Beard, when we purchased our first house the sellers paid for a one year contract of treatments. I feel a year of professional service is far superior to any treatment system you would purchase as a homeowner.

    Does the house have a basement or crawl space? You can get a good idea of major damage by doing a thorough inspection underneath. As far as interior damage goes, I'm not scared away by it. Tear down, replace, paint . Now you have a nice new wall that is properly insulated. 

    As others have said, try to negotiate treatment and repairs into the deal. If the sellers won't budge and your gut says walk, then walk. Always go with your gut.

  • Fairview Heights, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    @Kenneth B Thanks for the info I have a guy who will look under the crawlspace and give his thoughts on stuff tomorrow 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.