• Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
Inspection Day!

Jo Ballagh
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Sep 14 2015, 10:18

Good Morning BiggerPockets World :) (it's still 9am in Alaska)

I have a home inspection today on my hopefully soon-to-be four plex.  I'm hoping to just gather some tips, questions to ask, cautionary items, and maybe just calm my nerves.

My biggest concern is that there is a unit built on top of a carport. The sauna tubes that it was built with have been upheaved due to permafrost (#alaskaproblems) and this has caused significant drywall damage to that unit only (for those who don't have the luxury of knowing what permafrost is here you go: http://www.cchrc.org/permafrost). All other units seem sound. 

I was not present during the inspection for my current home and it was a terrible mistake I wont be making again. Things I think my realtor SHOULD have concerned himself with were brushed off and I am dealing with an enclosed porch that is sinking into the ground due to the same issue. I have a structural engineer coming to the inspection to offer his opinion and am searching for a last minute contractor to view the damage and write me a bid.

What are my rights after the inspection is complete? How likely would a seller be willing to come down in price if I produce a proposal with $15,000 worth of issues? How likely would the seller fix them prior to close? I know that life and health (mold, HVAC, etc) are obviously negotiable but what about structural support?

I could probably go on but I'd like to hear from you guys. Thanks for your time!

Jo

Loading replies...