Help Analyzing the deal - am I doing something wrong?

Help Analyzing the deal - am I doing something wrong?

Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes

I have been researching many deals in the MF space but every time I run the numbers, I get Cash-on-Cash returns numbers that just doesn't make any sense.  

Here's one deal that I would like to get some perspective from BP community.

  1. 10 Unit (mix of 2 & 1 ) in Northern CA
  2. Asking Price - $745K
  3. Current Avg. Rent: $625 / month / unit
  4. Owner Paid Utilities: $905 / month 
  5. Assuming Property mgt - 8%
  6. RE Taxes - 1.14%
  7. Insurance - $2000 / Yr
  8. Repairs & Maintenance - 4800 / year (potential, could be more or less)
  9. CapEx: 3500 / year (Potential, could be more or less)
  10. Assuming - 30% down with conventional financing at 4.5%, I get a COC of just over 1%.

Aside from any upside potential in rents with some rehab, Why would anyone want to buy into this deal from cash flow perspective, or am I missing something crucial in running my numbers?  I have been running into the same dilemma with every other deal I am looking at. 

Is there anything I could do to make this deal work other than offering lower price?

Thanks!

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Barrington, IL · Member since 2017 · 208 posts · 310 votes
8y

It's a tight market. I've run numbers on buildings in Chicago that I need to pay $2MM or less for to make sense and they are selling for $2.5MM. Combination of reasons IMO:

-some people not knowing what they're doing and wanting to buy something

-some people knowing more than I do and seeing upside potential that I don't 

-some people's investment strategy is based on future cash flow and appreciation, they are ok with the building not cash flowing for the immediate future

Be patient and buy right. Don't lower your standards just because it seems like everybody else is.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Brad Sumrok, Thanks! Your feedback means a lot... I have heard some great success stories about your students on Old Capitol Podcast.  I sure would like to be in Dallas market  or in one of those growth markets and will definitely reach out to you.. :)

  • Mankato, MN · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    Make an offer with numbers that make sense to you. Reverse engineer it based on the numbers that you have. Find a price that you “could” pay to make it a good deal. Be honest and true to your numbers and type your scenario out on paper. Don’t put exasperated numbers that people will scoff at, but be honest about it. Submit your reversed engineered paper with your offer. If they don’t like your price and terms, you walk away because it wasn’t going to make you money unless you got it at that price anyways. This is a strategy I like to take. Best of luck!
  • Investor · Saint Johns, FL · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 100 votes
    8y

    @Rich Lopes  The other thing is that based on these numbers this property is most likely in a D area? I would be very careful buying there if you don’t have a lot of experience in such areas...

  • Real Estate Agent · Fresno, CA · Member since 2014 · 367 posts · 174 votes
    8y

    @Rich Lopes  that could happen, but with good inspections you should be able to predict it pretty well.  You would also ask for a price reduction or credit after you are in escrow if it is something in need of repair soon.  i.e. I had a client who purchased 15 units.  After we did our visual we knew the roof would need some serious help very soon.  We got three bids from local and reputable companies and went back to the seller with the lowest bid and asked for a credit at title to repair it. He agreed and it made the deal worth it.  If the roof would've needed help in the next 5 years we may have asked for partial credit or my buyer would've left the deal or made some other improvements and sold the property in 3 or 4 years.   It's all part of the art of the deal, as it gets put together you can find ways to make it work, but if you can't you just walk away and move on to the next one.   Don't be afraid to change your strategy if necessary and make sure to look for the opportunities during the process.   I've found the best investors are the ones that can see opportunities in properties that others can't.  Feel free to message me if you want to talk more. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Jan H., based on the price and cap rate and the overall area it seem more like B or C type of areas than a "D". Yes, I wouldn't want to buy in those areas but thanks for bringing up that point.

    @Jeff Zimmerman, I have been thinking on those lines. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.