Property Management DeKalb, IL

21 Replies

@Scott Nelson

I currently work in Dekalb as a maintenance tech but I am also getting educated on real estate investing and management also have 4 years in renovations contracting work. Send me an email if your still looking

@Breanne McGarvie We sold that property and honestly, we didn't have the greatest experience with Yamber once it changed hands. I'm not in the area anymore but I'd recommend reaching out to some local realtors to see if they do property management. I have heard good things about Carrie Ottum.

Thanks for the quick response! Where are you now, if you don’t mind me asking? How was your overall experience in DeKalb? Any experience in Rockford? I’ve been wrestling between OOS turnkey and local (where I can have a better eye on things). My fiancé and I will be moving to the Saint Charles area in the next few months . I ran some deals for Dekalb/Rockford through the BP calculator and it almost seems too good to be true for some of the properties. Makes me think I’m not using the calculator correctly or estimating utilities correctly. Appreciate your feedback!

@Nate Shields

@Breanne McGarvie We're up in Madison, WI now. We had one property in DeKalb and still have one in Sycamore. I don't have any experience in Rockford, but I think there's a solid networking group there that you could easily find. 

I don't think I'd invest in DeKalb again personally. Since you're moving to St. Charles, you may want to consider investing there. We have a property in Geneva and I've flipped in both Geneva and St. Charles. Probably tougher to find cash flow but it's a more desirable area. If you're looking for cash flow then I'd probably get to know Rockford or you could hop right across the state line and give Beloit or Janesville a try. I know you can find cash flow there as well.

Try Townsend property management in Dekalb. Also try (Dan) Pavelich May in Sycamore, IL sister city of Dekalb. Feel free to use our name ( pronounced Yow c ) for both referrals. They each manage HOA's that we developed in the area and are responsive . Re ROCKVEGAS - have about 30 SFR and another 40 in the area - excellent cash flows. We have A B C class properties so cover a wide range of doors. EG... we sold oe of our SFR in early summer were renting for $1150 - new buyer was an investor had it rerented ( not section 8 ) day of closing for $1450 blew me away - point is always room for improvements and fresh approaches to our market.Happy hunting!

Originally posted by @Danny Randazzo :

@Scott Nelson @Ola Dantis do you know anyone?

Another hack is to enter that city or the apartment building address into apartments.com and see the listings, then you can see the Property Managers in that area (see below screenshot for DeKalb, IL). 

Also, try allpropertymanagement.com, a site created for owners to find property management companies, and reach out to those property managers. 

Hope that helps. Good luck on finding one. 

@Nate Shields and @Chris Youssi I live and work in the Janesville and Beloit markets. I would love to touch base and share more info about the market and the potential here. We manage quite a few units in the area, while we also help investors add properties to their portfolios. I would encourage you to check out these areas simply because of the massive amounts of economic growth going on in the Rock County market. I would be more than happy to share some more info if you had questions!

@Nate Shields thanks very much for that suggestion Nate! I haven’t considered Janesville/Beloit yet, even though I have family in Deerfield! So I will certainly check it out! My 9 to 5 is doing online marketing for small business owners, so I actually know quite a few contractors and plumbers in that area… Never even occurred to me to check out that area though! So thank you! I was also advised that Sycamore was good—more desirable for families than DeKalb and would be able to charge a little more for rent. Will keep looking there, too!

@Chris Youssi Thank you so much for those recommendations! That is so great and I will jot them down in my ledger of recommendations in DeKalb/Sycamore. 🙏🏼

FYI should have mentioned all my props are in Sycamore in 1 multi family / condo / townhome project. City has a much higher average family income - 90K I believe than in the surrounding markets. Type of markets we prefer for our doors. Lots of excellent comments on this thread.

Originally posted by @Calvin Ozanick :

@Nate Shields and @Chris Youssi I live and work in the Janesville and Beloit markets. I would love to touch base and share more info about the market and the potential here. We manage quite a few units in the area, while we also help investors add properties to their portfolios. I would encourage you to check out these areas simply because of the massive amounts of economic growth going on in the Rock County market. I would be more than happy to share some more info if you had questions!

Calvin, our current model is only building new - LMK if you have some sites where we can build 2/ 3 / 4 families . I would be glad to meet for a tour. Edgerton would be  HOME RUN IMHO. Locations must support the upper 100's low 200's.values  for our product mix. I am 10 miles south from the border so NBD. We are building a home in Turtle rock estates couple streets over from Gateway - very very impressive whats going on in that location with Amazon etc... THX for the ask.

Hey @Jonny Abramson@Nate Shields has a lot more experience in Dekalb than I do, so his advice is definitely valuable.  But one thing I would throw out there about Dekalb is there was ~ $1 billion invested there last year alone most of which came from the new ChicagoWest business center locking in deals with Facebook for a new data center along with Ferrara Candy Company to add a new warehouse and distribution center.  There were several other big project announcements too (and more space in the ChicagoWest business center to attract other companies) that project to add about 1000 new well paying jobs along with the city getting more active in demolishing and repurposing more buildings downtown.  There is definitely some potential for Dekalb to start turning things around and build itself into more than just an old manufacturing town/college town.  Time will tell if things pan out, but there is good reason to believe Dekalb should start to see at least some growth over the next 3-5 years.  

@Scott Passman @Nate Shields Thanks guys! Great info Scott. Just looked into it and it sounds like they're doing a ton. I'd like to see some growth there. It has a lot of potential. I'd be curious to see what they end up doing in the downtown area. I suppose all of this, paired with the fact that college rentals should start to pick back up as COVID starts "going away", makes Dekalb at the very least a good place park your cash.