Tenant from hell has left...but left the windows open

5 Replies

Our tenant from hell has moved most of her stuff out, we think, and isn’t sleeping at the property. She left it locked and changed the deadbolt and door handle locks. She also left the windows wide open and it rained 8”. We need to go in and shut them. We will have a locksmith let us in, but our eviction trial isn’t until next week. Do we just leave a key outside the door? Can we have her contact us for a key? Anyone know the legality of the “we need to leave her a key until she’s evicted” scenario?

@Jessica Wood Wow that's a tough situation! Do you have an evictions attorney? We went through an eviction a few months ago and I was very worried about entering the property until I knew for a fact that she had abandoned it. We started the eviction then the tenant emailed us saying she moved out and that was enough to allow us to re-enter. Every state has different laws about this. It's VERY important for you to follow these laws so that the tenant doesn't win the trial!!

I hope someone from Minnesota chimes in here, they'd give the best advice, as tenant-landlord laws are different from state to state. Here in Florida as long as you give the tenant 24 hours notice you are allowed to enter. 

Although with leaving the windows open and it raining, you could argue that it's an emergency and you need to preserve the property. 

Best of luck, at least it sounds like she's moving out... 

You can go in and secure the property and make any repairs.  Do not change the locks have the locksmith make you a key.  NOTIFY the tenant you will at the property give him or her 24 hours notice. 

Originally posted by @Nick C. :

I hope someone from Minnesota chimes in here, they'd give the best advice, as tenant-landlord laws are different from state to state. Here in Florida as long as you give the tenant 24 hours notice you are allowed to enter. 

Although with leaving the windows open and it raining, you could argue that it's an emergency and you need to preserve the property. 

Best of luck, at least it sounds like she's moving out... 

Shoot, I forgot to update my location on BP. This property is actually in iowa. 

I am almost positive she’s out, but every time I say that, she goes back for something else. We have a camera in the common area. 

Originally posted by @Jason Heroux :

You can go in and secure the property and make any repairs.  Do not change the locks have the locksmith make you a key.  NOTIFY the tenant you will at the property give him or her 24 hours notice. 

Okay, she has changed the door lock and the deadbolt. Just have him make me a key for both?