What’s included in ‘Net Income’ for Cap Rate analysis?

What’s included in ‘Net Income’ for Cap Rate analysis?

Robert LindsleyPro Member
Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 53 votes

Hello,

I’m trying to determine a price for a multifamily apartment building I’m selling. The way I’m doing this is taking the net income and determining a possible sales price using the cap rate.

Normally to determine net income I start with the gross income and subtract taxes, insurance, and maintenance. However in this case I pay the electricity for the tenants. Should I also subtract my electrical costs from my gross income to determine net income? What is the common methodology of figuring out net income given I pay electricity?

Thanks!

Robert.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 583 posts · 919 votes
7y

You'll want to use Net Operating Income in your calculation, not Net Income. Include all revenue, minus all operating expenses. Basically, everything except for debt service and any other non-operating expenses. 

It's a very small subset of buyers that determine their office pric purely based on a cap rate. Small multifamily mostly gets valued based on comps, even over 5+ units. Large multifamily and/or sophisticated investors price based on their required returns. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 583 posts · 919 votes
    7y

    You'll want to use Net Operating Income in your calculation, not Net Income. Include all revenue, minus all operating expenses. Basically, everything except for debt service and any other non-operating expenses. 

    It's a very small subset of buyers that determine their office pric purely based on a cap rate. Small multifamily mostly gets valued based on comps, even over 5+ units. Large multifamily and/or sophisticated investors price based on their required returns. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Robert Lindsley you're supposed to use NOI for cap rate analysis. So basically:

    revenue gen. by property - all expenses (except debt service)

    =

    NOI

    =

    Prop. Value x Cap Rate

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    NOI will be Gross Rents - Operating Expenses where operating expenses include:

    • Taxes
    • Insurance
    • Water & Sewer
    • Utilities
    • Repairs/Maintenance
    • Property Management
    • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
      Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      7y

      @Robert Lindsley since you are competing with brokers and how they calculate 'net income' you need to match their methods. Leave out any amounts for vacancies, PM, capex, repairs and maintenance. Generally they omit water and sewer as well. Just look at some of their listings and you will get the hang of it. 

      It is harder to do it wrong on purpose when you know how it should be done. ;<))

    • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      7y
      Originally posted by @Robert Lindsley:

      Hello,

      I’m trying to determine a price for a multifamily apartment building I’m selling. The way I’m doing this is taking the net income and determining a possible sales price using the cap rate.

      Normally to determine net income I start with the gross income and subtract taxes, insurance, and maintenance. However in this case I pay the electricity for the tenants. Should I also subtract my electrical costs from my gross income to determine net income? What is the common methodology of figuring out net income given I pay electricity?

      Thanks!

      Robert.

      Yes you will need to include the utilities you pay for the tenants as operating costs.

    • Robert LindsleyPro Member
      OP
      Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 53 votes
      7y

      Hi there,

      Thanks for all the advice! I have built-in the above items into my NOI. It gives me a much better sense of how much my building is worth -- thank you!

      I'm going to speak with a commercial broker today to see if I have everything correctly built-in.

      Thanks!

      Robert.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.