Am I dreaming too big

Am I dreaming too big

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 7 votes

I’m a CNA ( nurses assistant) I’m very much interested in house hacking hopefully a duplex or triplex but sometimes I feel like it’s not for me my income is not great and I have bad credit should I just give up this dream ? Are there other people who do not make six figures that have succeeded in real estate? Where should I start?

3Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 83 votes
7y

@Star Dawson

I would work on the credit, credit can get improved within 1-2 years of paying on time, and also save some money for a down payment (sometimes u can get a loan for 5% down or even less)

You can purchase duplexes for really cheap in some areas, you just need look for them.

I totally recommend you on purchasing books about real estate from amazon, theres good material out there.

I’ve studied 3 months (everyday reading) from books before making my first deal.

Nothing comes easily..

And giving up is for losers don’t you ever do that! And trust me I was born to a very poor family, we barely had food ain’t silver spoon’d, had no excuses why not to go into real estate.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Morgan Porter. Thank you so much!!!! I would definitely take your advice!!!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Brock Mogensen omg! That’s wonderful and congrats!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Brendan M. Thank you and I will definitely stay in touch!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · West Warwick, RI · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Never give up! I was in a similar situation (broke but my credit wasn't bad) when I bought my first house hack 3 years ago. I was able to purchase a duplex that was a fixer upper with a FHA 203k rehab loan (usually requires 3.5% down) with NO MONEY DOWN. This could definitely be an option for you as there are tons of ways to avoid a down payment like I did. At the time I had just graduated college, my state was offering a grant for up to 3.5% for a down payment on a 1-4 unit if you live in the property for a certain number of years. There are also first time homebuyer grants my state has offered which are the same and offer 3.5% down to you just for being a first time homebuyer! As for the credit you can turn that around a lot faster then you think just keep working hard! You've got this!

  • Rental Property Investor · Helena, MT · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 117 votes
    7y
    "Being broke is hard. Building wealth is hard. Choose your hard."
  • Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson Hell no Don't give up.. I have 3 properties under my belt now, and at multiple times through-out the last 5 years I thought about giving up. I'm so glad I didn't! Read motivating self help books, and real estate books to keep you motivated and change your mind set. Also keep preparing yourself by learning, saving money, and fixing your credit score. A duplex, triplex, or 4-plex is definetly for your income.. especially since it will be cheaper to house hack, than to rent anyways lol. Good luck Star!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Ealy

    Haha I knew Michael would chime in

    “ I was dead broke and now make six figures

    .. a month “

    If mikes story doesn’t inspire you to persevere , then nothing will .

  • Rental Property Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson I read the title line only. No your not. End of story. Now grind

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I started with bad credit, no talent, and way too arrogant for my own good

    I've never made over 50k in my day job

    I started learning real estate in 2014 through the podcast

    I didn't think I could get very far in real estate, but thought maybe I could get 10 SFR over 10 years

    in 2016 I bought my first rental

    This year I closed on my 8th SFR and a 24 unit multifamily

    you can SO do this my friend. It's really not that hard it's just a bit overwhelming at first. Keep at it, not only will your success be inevitable you'll find that your goals aren't too big, they are too small. 

    Start with learning personal finance, get some savings and get your credit score up. Learn every day, and spend time to network with local investors. If you make a good effort to do all these things your life will turn around in a BLINK! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2013 · 51 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson If you want it bad enough, you will find a way!

  • SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson

    I'm brand new to this as well. Currently I'm cleaning up my finances while I learn all that I can. I've just recently finished reading The Richest Man in Babylon and I've just started Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I don't have advice to give but, as a newbie myself, I understand your post and appreciate all of the responses.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If you don't believe in yourself, you will never make a change.  I am no different than anyone else.  I am not more talented.  I am not smarter . I just believe in myself and take action in the direction of what I want to create and then I reach my destination at all costs.  I remain focused on my goal at all times and the world around me shifts into place to get there.

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson you should start with the basis of educating yourself about the asset classes and get specific on the investment strategy, there’s is plenty of capital in the market place and people invest with people who they can trust. And if you going to dream you may as well dream big anyway, that’s why i recommend to take a look at the assets like multifamily. Grab this book “Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book” and start getting that education. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Kauai, HI · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    focus

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    7y

    @Star Dawson the question to ask is: how much drive do you have to achieve the dream? You can go as big as you want!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.