Who are your favorite syndicators?

31 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

As I learn more in Apartment investing and syndication, I'm curious to hear: Who are you favorite syndicators? 

Who among the ranks of syndicators are the most consistent and you feel comfortable investing in their deals? Or who spends a lot of time educating newbies, and you are a fan of their work mentoring new syndicators the right way?

Lets have a discussion!

Thank you!

@Travis Houck there are literally hundreds of successful syndicators out there, but only a few dozen that are active on BP, but now that you have put in the keywords, I'm sure a lot of great people will chime in :)

What are you looking for exactly? To learn from? To passively invest with? Or is this just a theoretical discussion?

I personally would look for track record. Specifically those who have successfully executed on their business plan all the way through disposition. There are way too many newbie syndicators and co-GPs out there, that call themselves syndicators that have not had enough experience, regardless if they have the right team. A few that come to mind as active BPers are @Brian Burke @Joe Fairless @Jeff Greenberg @Ben Leybovich @Brian Adams @Ivan Barratt  

Originally posted by @Travis Houck :

Hello BiggerPockets!

As I learn more in Apartment investing and syndication, I'm curious to hear: Who are you favorite syndicators? 

Who among the ranks of syndicators are the most consistent and you feel comfortable investing in their deals? Or who spends a lot of time educating newbies, and you are a fan of their work mentoring new syndicators the right way?

Lets have a discussion!

Thank you!

It is not really the syndicator's job to educate newbies. They really can not offer financial advice so better not to be in situations where they are playing educator for people who might invest in their deals.

I see you are 'close' to Philadelphia. If you are new to investing, consider spending some time with apartment owners and other investors so you can learn the ropes. Not to be hands on. More so you know how others look at deals. In addition, if there are local syndicators, it is in their best interest and yours that you get to know each other before an investment is presented.

I am spending some time over the next few months about 45 minutes south of you. I can suggest a few meetings you might want to attend. Ones I have discovered or attended since relocating to the area.

@Travis Houck some other mentions I know of from their deals I've actually seen and do a really good job, find good deals.

Reed goossens (Wildhorn Capital)

Chris Jackson/Krista Testani (Sharpline Equity)

Josh Eitingon (DXE properties)

Sonya Rocvil (Berry Rocvil Enterprises)

Jake Stenziano/Gino Barbaro/Dylan Marma (Rand Partners)

Omar Khan (Boardwalk Wealth)

Sam Bates (Trinity Capital)

Sapan Talati (Enzo Multifamily)

If I remember some others I'll post them too.

@Travis Houck

Learning about investing in syndications and actually investing are two separate things and should be done in the following order:

1) Learn the process and network

2) Educate yourself on the asset class you're investing in

3) Reach out and evaluate a number of deal sponsors

4) Pick the ones whose strategies and values resonate the most with yours

5) Take action

A few articles to help you with the process:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/76728-questions-to-ask-a-syndicator

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/84504-step-by-step-process-on-how-to-invest-in-a-real-estate-syndication

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/84064-what-type-of-investor-to-be-when-i-grow-up-active-or-passiv

If you need books recommendations, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Michael Le :
Originally posted by @Cody Rubio:

Nobody educates more than Joe Fairless. From his podcast to his Syndication School, lots of great free resources.

Does voting for your boss count? lol 

I thought the exact same thing...

I have no idea if he is or isn't the best educator in the MF syndication space, but it may make sense from a marketing perspective to put out there that he also signs your paycheck. 

Originally posted by @Chris Grenzig :

@Travis Houck some other mentions I know of from their deals I've actually seen and do a really good job, find good deals.

Reed goossens (Wildhorn Capital)

Chris Jackson/Krista Testani (Sharpline Equity)

Josh Eitingon (DXE properties)

Sonya Rocvil (Berry Rocvil Enterprises)

Jake Stenziano/Gino Barbaro/Dylan Marma (Rand Partners)

Omar Khan (Boardwalk Wealth)

Sam Bates (Trinity Capital)

Sapan Talati (Enzo Multifamily)

If I remember some others I'll post them too.

Dare may I return the favor and mention to look up the excellent Meetup hosted by Chris (and the Toro real estate team). The best Meetup or your money back ;) 

@Travis Houck as you can see, a lot of posts have been removed on this one. Lot's of self-promotion. There are plenty of reputable folks here on BP, but your best bet is to look for folks with a long track record of success. If they don't have the time in the market, they should have partners on the team that do have that experience. 

@Travis Houck there are a ton of great syndicators out there. As you can see from the answers in this post, it really all boils down to personal preference and who are you most comfortable with. A lot of syndicators here have their own podcast, even books they've published. Dive deep into their education and develop a level of comfortabilit, then take the direction your heart desires.

@Travis Houck  Maybe worth mentioning that you generally have to be an accredited investor to invest in a syndicated deal. You may know that but I don't want to make assumptions.

Also maybe worth mentioning that @Brandon Turner and @Ryan Murdock are launching a fund soon and have begun marketing that a little. Check that out if you are interested in the mobile home park space. 

I recommend you run the numbers yourself and ask a lot of questions before getting into a deal. If you don't understand the asset class or the numbers, it's probably better to not invest or at least find someone you trust, maybe a mentor or someone with some experience, to help you vet the deal. 

@Travis Houck

The main thing I think you need to look for when researching Syndication is how many doors does the "guy sleeping his crap" own?

Is he really experienced in syndication or just selling his coaching. There has been alot get on the band wagon with Syndication coaching. Vet your coach.

@Travis Houck

There is no substitute for your own research imo. Some folks responding take fees or work with syndicators and one responded actually recommended his own firm.  Look for long track records, alignment of interest with yours and people you won't mind being in business with for many years because you will be. 

Also, good to keep in mind that we have had a huge increase in prices so most track records should probably be looked at with a little skepticism. Very few of those mentioned have track records going back further than 2008 and very few have large scale operating experience. 

Lot's of good syndicators out there and on BP. Do your research and find the one that aligns best with your personality and goals. Everyone has their own area of expertise and teaches to that. If you are going to pay someone, just do your research. 

Tons of great syndicators to invest with on this platform. Just have to do your homework. Not only do you have to select the right operator that meets your criteria you have to educate and continue to educate yourself as a passive investor. You want to understand some aspects of the business. Don't have to know everything, just enough to feel comfortable. 

@Travis Houck Great question. I transitioned years ago into multifamily syndication investing. I've now invested with 14+ different syndication groups. Currently I am invested in 8 deals with Ashcroft Capital, they have been the best group I have worked with so far. I also brought my wife and my father into deals with them as well. In full transparency, I am fortunate to now be part of the Investor Relations with Ashcroft. With all that said, I have also had great experience working with other syndication groups and I invest in private note-lending and other real estate related funds as well. - PS Joe Fairless does a tremendous amount of education surrounding multifamily, syndications, and investing in genral. Best of luck!