Mac or not to Mac !?

73 Replies

I’m currently starting up my own commercial and residential real estate investing company and trying to decide to go with Mac or not. Anyone have any insight or recommendations or what type of computer software works better for the real estate investing world or if it even matters.

I am the last one to ask about this..  but I had a mac book pro it was great for travel as its really light.

but I could not work it worth a darn.. now to be fair I don't really do anything with computers other than internet.

and type a  few documents etc and save files.  I don't have a CRM or any of that stuff my staff handles it.. 

but I did give the mac to my wife and she likes it OK. our kids love theirs..  I bought a top of the line Lenovo and it works great as its solid state starts right up so I like that.. 

We've used Macs exclusively for years. I'm typing this on a MacBook Air as we speak. They are certainly more expensive, but they are hard to break and last a long, long time. In recent years, the compatibility is not as big of an issue as it used to be. We really don't have a lot of issues with the Macs. I've had both PCs and Macs and I have found the Mac to be a more stable platform. It's more expensive, but I've had far fewer performance issues with the Macs. I hope that helps. 

I have had my MacBook Air for 5 years, and just literally replaced the battery, 2 weeks ago. It finally reached the 1000x charge up threshold. In those 5 years, I have had exactly ZERO viruses, and I do not run anti-virus software and never have. 

Prior to moving my database into the cloud, this laptop hosted my database, never once had an issue of crashing or losing data. I used to run some of my systems through a Windows based VPN, and it was a disaster. I dealt with crashes on a routine basis, fortunately it was routinely backed up, so I never lost my data. I just had to spend the time it took to recover the data. 

I no longer use anything associated with Windows/MS, including Office. I deal with very large quantities of data, over 75GB currently, and to this point Windows/MS has more than proved that it cannot handle large volumes of data. 

For my money, there is no scenario that I would ever consider a PC/laptop made with Windows. You get what you pay for, rings very true in this scenario. 

@Jonathan Trimboli

I personally prefer Macs but if I was starting a business and will be dealing w employees I would lean towards PC.

Most people are familiar w Windows and Office products and although you can get the MAC office version it’s not the same. I really like the Free Mac version numbers etc but the average user will have a light learning curve..

The main reason I would pick a non Mac platform is price. For under $500 you can purchase a decent Windows workstation or laptop macs are double but they do tend to last longer

@Jonathan Trimboli I waited to Macs 3 years ago when I joined a company that used them. I didn’t care for them at first because of the different keys and I felt the operating system was limiting. But over time I realized it does everything that I need to do to get my work done and they work really well.

I wouldn’t buy a windows laptop with the computer specs my Mac has because I know it would have a hard time keeping up. I can not stand lagging on a computer, it makes me rage.

If you have other apple products like an iPhone, iPad, and/or watch there are benefits to using a Mac for how they are able to internet with each other.

If you're on the principal side and will be working extensively in Excel and Powerpoint, then you want to go with a PC. 

If you're not building complex Excel models and using hotkeys to do so, then you can get away with a Mac but you still might need to install Parallels. 

As @Raul R. said, if you plan on having employees and needing to buy computers for them, then PC is much more affordable.

Originally posted by @Jonathan Trimboli :

I’m currently starting up my own commercial and residential real estate investing company and trying to decide to go with Mac or not. Anyone have any insight or recommendations or what type of computer software works better for the real estate investing world or if it even matters.

No it doesn't matter.

99% of software you're going to use is web based or, even if desktop based, will work on both.  So really it's preference. 

I resisted converting to Mac for years as I was extremely happy to continue to use my Lenovo ThinkPad for my daily work. I figured that PC’s were better for business and the only thing Mac’s were good for was graphic intensive design. When I switched jobs and needed to get a suitable replacement for my personal and business use my wife convinced me to go with a Mac. I was hesitant at first due to the price difference but now I couldn’t be happier with my MacBook Pro. 

I’m a heavy/power user of excel and other Microsoft products and so far, I haven’t had any problems with them on Mac. There was some adjustment on how I would use excel for some of our more data intensive models, but overall, my experience with Microsoft software on Mac has been great.  Additionally, as @Cody L. said, it seems that majority of software and CRM is being transitioned to web based platforms, so it hasn’t been an issue to use our full suite of tools on my Mac that I previously used on my PC.

If you want a Mac and you’re on the fence about it working with different types of business applications, then I would recommend getting one. It’s been nothing but a pleasure using mine… Once I figured out how to save files.

@Jonathan Trimboli Good question! These days you can run nearly any software on a Mac. You can run Microsoft Office and Microsoft Operating systems on a Mac. I still believe Macs are the highest quality product you can buy in the computer world. I stopped using PCs about 12 years ago and I believe that was the best decision I ever made in the technology world. Best of luck!

@Jonathan Trimboli

It doesn’t matter. If you’re used to windows it will be awkward at first. It took me awhile to get used to it. If you like IPhones you’ll probably like the MAC. I love how all my APPLE devices SINC to the computer. I text, talk, and FaceTime with the computer. I’ll have the phone in the other room charging. I also find it to be much less glitchy than the PC’s I’ve had.

@Jonathan Trimboli  

Go with the Mac! 

First, you don't have to worry pretty never about viruses PLUS it looks super cool to go with your new venture 🤗

Apple Forever fan here, of course!

Oh, also, most of the software you will be using for REI will be web-based or in the cloud anyway, so you should good for the most part.

After many years writing drive control automation & the ongoing debacle with the array of Windows OS I have been a Mac convert for many years...my favorite is take a pic with your iPhone & it appears on your Mac in Photo's & all the intricate excel spreadsheets I design work fine on the Mac. 

But I do send this to my friends who ask me for Windows support...

Love the question!!

Start with the WHAT?  WHAT software are you going to use?  Is it MAC compatible?

What computer are you most comfortable with?  Learning curve moving from one to the other.  Most people can make it work either way, but always have one they just like better.

Detail: I bought my kids laptops before they each went to college.  When my last one was ready to go - she chose a tablet instead.  Technology and functionality change.  You are doing this for fun and money - enjoy the journey.

David Spatz

@Jonathan Trimboli

First see what main software(s) you would be using, whichever system it is compatible to, you have no choice but to go for that. As others have said, most software you will need is web based so the decision should be yours. 

My opinion is MAC is the only option. I personally HATE any windows based laptops/computers. Majority of viruses are for windows based as MAC's offer a much higher level of security. Speed, performance and longevity are hands down MAC products. 

In my office, I have other employees who have to use Windows computers and I really feel bad for them. Processing speeds are sooooo much slower than even older Mac's. 

Do not make the mistake and go Windows, Mac's last you much longer and even hold better value if that's of any importance. 

Spend the more money upfront and get a better machine. Windows computers are disposable, Mac's aren't. 

@Nik S. Thank you, as well as everyone else’s input on this. It helped solidify my decision and i went with a new 15” MacBook Pro with the i9 processor and it’s awesome. It’s everything i was needing plus a whole lot more. Very impressive!! I’ll never look at a PC again.

Originally posted by @Jonathan Trimboli :

@Nik S. Thank you, as well as everyone else’s input on this. It helped solidify my decision and i went with a new 15” MacBook Pro with the i9 processor and it’s awesome. It’s everything i was needing plus a whole lot more. Very impressive!! I’ll never look at a PC again.

You couldn't have made a better decision! I feel bad for Windows users.......

Just about everything we use is web-based now. When I "need" a laptop, I buy what ever light laptop with decent specs that I can get the best deal on and my husband installs linux for the operating system. We use the google suite for office software: docs, sheets, slides, photos, keep it's all integrated nicely and it's free.