Real Estate Investor Newbie

13 Replies

Gooooood Morning Bigger Pockets!!

My name is Maya Patterson and I am extremely excited and ready to dive into real estate investing!

I’m 21 years old and originally from Colorado. I moved to Fort Lauderdale 3 years ago to play college volleyball at Nova Southeastern University.

Fast forward to now, I live alone and instead of partying and wasting my 20s away I want use this time to learn and create enough assets to retire my parents and I in the next couple years.

My goal is to have over 10 rental properties by the end of this year and enough cash flow to purchase both my parents new houses for them to retire in. To start off, I’ve been researching how to wholesale. I’ve read the blogs, watched the YouTube videos and listened to plenty of podcasts but the biggest thing for me is jumping the broom and getting started!! Because I know knowledge is only power if I use it!!

Anyway, I’d loveeee any feedback or help along the way. I’m extremely confident in myself and my abilities and would be even more confident if I found some people to help guide me through this journey or if I had my “MasterMind Group”, as Napoleon Hill would call it. Please don’t hesitate to message me as I appreciate you guys for all your help and knowledge.

Thank you sooo much and lets make some money!!

@Maya Patterson good luck to you!  Wholesaling is a great strategy to start with as you're building up capital.  I'm not an experienced wholesaler, but can definitely put you in touch with people that are if you're seeking mentorship.

@Maya Patterson Welcome and I love your conviction! You are on the right track. Even just thinking "instead of partying and wasting my 20s away I want use this time to learn and create enough assets" puts you far ahead of most other 20 yr olds. There are lots of great resources on BP. I would continue to read books, listen to podcasts, study, practice running numbers, and network at your local real estate meet ups. Narrow in on the strategy you'd like to focus on based on your skills and interests. Then find someone who is succeeding in that niche, add value to them and ask them to mentor you or better yet partner with them. 

@Matt Nusbaum

Good Morning Matt!! Thank you so much!! I went to one of my local REI's and was able to meet a lot of great people and learn about some great tools!! I'd love to connect if you ever looking for property in South Florida.

A few ideas for you:

Treat BP like a college course. Listen to 1 podcast and read at least 1 blog post per day, spend at least 15 minutes a day in the forums, and analyze one property a day. 

Start networking with your local REI meetup. You should be able to find events on meetup.com and BP. Might even be some on Facebook. Nothing will help you more than connecting with other like-minded folks in person and online!

Read up on house hacking. It is the best way to get started in REI.

Good luck!

Hi Maya! 

I loved every part of your post! I live in south florida incase you want to connect or get a cup of coffee! 

Taking the first step is difficult but if you break it up to smaller steps it can become less scary! 

What kind of rental do you want to acquire ? SFH? Multifamily?

What's your budget (20% of purchase price)? 

How will you purchase your first rental? Hard-money? Conventional? FHA? Cash?

Where do you want to buy? Close by or do you mind long distance? 

The answers to these questions will build a path towards your first investment because they will narrow what you're looking for and make it easier to acquire. 

These were all rhetorical btw lol just questions i asked myself before buying my first property! 

Hope this helps and good luck! 

Originally posted by @Maya Patterson :

Gooooood Morning Bigger Pockets!!

My name is Maya Patterson and I am extremely excited and ready to dive into real estate investing!

I’m 21 years old and originally from Colorado. I moved to Fort Lauderdale 3 years ago to play college volleyball at Nova Southeastern University.

Fast forward to now, I live alone and instead of partying and wasting my 20s away I want use this time to learn and create enough assets to retire my parents and I in the next couple years.

My goal is to have over 10 rental properties by the end of this year and enough cash flow to purchase both my parents new houses for them to retire in. To start off, I’ve been researching how to wholesale. I’ve read the blogs, watched the YouTube videos and listened to plenty of podcasts but the biggest thing for me is jumping the broom and getting started!! Because I know knowledge is only power if I use it!!

Anyway, I’d loveeee any feedback or help along the way. I’m extremely confident in myself and my abilities and would be even more confident if I found some people to help guide me through this journey or if I had my “MasterMind Group”, as Napoleon Hill would call it. Please don’t hesitate to message me as I appreciate you guys for all your help and knowledge.

Thank you sooo much and lets make some money!!

Welcome aboard Maya.