Buy SFR on multifamily zoning

2 Replies

I found about a mile square block of old tiny houses (most are 2/1) - but I noticed they are all zoned multi-family.  I am not in a place to buy up a block and put townhouses on it - but I am considering maybe building or bringing in a manufactured home and placing on a permanent foundation and use as rentals - or building onto a unit and making a duplex?

Has anyone done this?

What information do I need to get on zoning, utilities, etc.

Originally posted by @Stephanie Simmons :

I found about a mile square block of old tiny houses (most are 2/1) - but I noticed they are all zoned multi-family.  I am not in a place to buy up a block and put townhouses on it - but I am considering maybe building or bringing in a manufactured home and placing on a permanent foundation and use as rentals - or building onto a unit and making a duplex?

Has anyone done this?

What information do I need to get on zoning, utilities, etc.

You need to find out the requirements for development like setbacks, lot coverage, height restrictions, parking requirements, etc. You also need to look into the utilities serving the property to find out if they can serve multiple units. Keep in mind just because zoning allows more doesn’t mean you can build what the zoning allows. You can call the planning department to speak wit the planners and zoning officers to find out what you can do.