BUILD-UP CONSTRUCTION PROJECT

6 Replies

I am in the process of helping out a potential investor in the design and construction of a few multi-family residential projects in Kansas City. I am being tasked with providing design input as well as all of the documentation needed to make these projects a reality, the problem is...I have no idea where to start. Can anyone provide guidance to the built-up construction process? 

Thanks!

@Greg Dickerson I am a full-time architect, however i am just fresh out of school and have very little knowledge on residential projects. 

Basically he is asking me to make his ideas into a reality. I see it as an opportunity to gain trust and knowledge on the process of built-up construction, I am just now sure what my first steps should be. Do I reach out to a contractor, are there permits I need to look into, etc?

Originally posted by @Hector Martinez Rosales :

@Greg Dickerson I am a full-time architect, however i am just fresh out of school and have very little knowledge on residential projects. 

Basically he is asking me to make his ideas into a reality. I see it as an opportunity to gain trust and knowledge on the process of built-up construction, I am just now sure what my first steps should be. Do I reach out to a contractor, are there permits I need to look into, etc?

Yes there are zoning and permit considerations. Yes you should find a qualified GC to work with on this. Are you with a firm? 

@Hector Martinez Rosales

Hi Hector,

I am in the process of helping out a potential investor in the design and construction of a few multi-family residential projects ......... I am being tasked with providing design input as well as all of the documentation needed to make these projects a reality, the problem is...I have no idea where to start. Can anyone provide guidance to the built-up construction process

In a best case scenario (to avoid the blind leading the blind): 

Step 1. Hire a competent EXPERIENCED Multi-family Architectural firm with an infrastructure (internally and reliable contractor contacts) in place to make the job happen.

Step 2. You oversee them.

(You're not going to learn this phase of construction online, and winging it will likely be costly.)

Good Luck!

What @Scott Mac said. BUT I'd even caution away from step 2. I was once in your shoes and it takes years to build confidence and knowledge on getting things built. I am still learning new things. I don't believe you have the experience to oversee them in any capacity. Don't tarnish your architectural name right out the gate. I would bring on a more senior architect and establish your intent to shadow them and learn from this project @Hector Martinez Rosales . Having just got out of architecture school, you should know it's not an easy explanation to impart everything you need to know for the build-up construction process. This comes from years in firm learning and on construction sites.  

I would ask how you got yourself into this role with little qualifications? As @Greg Dickerson mentioned, are you already working for a firm? Can you bring the project under the firm's umbrella and maybe manage things with the help of senior principal/managers? 

Jared Smith, RA