Sustainable Real Estate Development

8 Replies

I am currently looking to connect with anyone involved in doing RED but with a Sustainable focus, as I really want to start there. My experience comes from the Energy sector, Renewables sector ( have my own solar company), as well but also CREI in MF, Shopping Centers, Industrial, etc, but I always wanted to get into the developer side of things, but not to just build but to create meaningful projects. I have my LEED accreditation, working on a few others with the goal of maybe starting small with some 4plexes and moving into Larger commercial projects or possibly Master Planned Communities. Any guidance or advice from someone that understands not only RED but with a holistic and sustainable approach to the whole process, materials, Net Zero, Passive H design, etc. Thank you in advance 

A mentor once said to me, "you either get on the job experience or on the deal experience" both are valuable. Only way to learn is to jump in with people who are doing what you want to do. 

Thank you @Pavan Sandhu for the words and couldn't agree more. I've done that before into real estate itself, but I know the best way to learn is to actually do it, either if it is at a small scale, building that momentum. Just trying to figure out how the process would look like and apply it here. 

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

So very glad you are doing this. We've been renting with sustainability in mind, and have solar on the roof of one of our rentals.  Not sure where you are, but here in Madison, WI there's quite a demand for it. Best of luck! If you look through my connections, you'll find quite a few green-minded investors on here. I've been trying to find them on these boards since I joined BP. If you search for "solar on rentals" you'll also find quite a few naysayers who have no idea what they're talking about, for the most part. Although, your long term success really does depend on your location and local market, as I'm sure you know, and these naysayers might be coming from places where it really won't work.

@Andrew Kiefer Love it, I'm out in West TX. I do a lot of work on utility scale solar and wind dev. for my W2, but focus on syndicated large vineyard development and operation on the real estate side. Previously done residential RE. We've been kicking around doing some master planned communities (600-1300 acres, SF, MF, and CRE) with a functional commercial vineyard built into it. Renewables would be a plus. I'll drop you a line on LI as well. More active there.

Best of luck, network like crazy!

Originally posted by @Mason Moreland :

@Andrew Kiefer Love it, I'm out in West TX. I do a lot of work on utility scale solar and wind dev. for my W2, but focus on syndicated large vineyard development and operation on the real estate side. Previously done residential RE. We've been kicking around doing some master planned communities (600-1300 acres, SF, MF, and CRE) with a functional commercial vineyard built into it. Renewables would be a plus. I'll drop you a line on LI as well. More active there.

Best of luck, network like crazy!

there are some of those in the Temecula valley we worked on one for a Beringer holding .. but many times ag and resi can conflict given the chemical applications etc.

@Jay Hinrichs very true, can't/shouldn't use aerosolized herbicides! We have bigger herbicide concerns out here though, residential levels are small fry. We are completely surrounded by traditional row crop cotton (RoundUp, Dicamba/2, 4-D, and other herbicide resistant GMO cotton!) that gets sprayed frequently right up to the edges of the cities.

A lot of folks switching to organic/non-GMO cotton around here though. Higher fiber quality/higher $/lb and less chemical costs! 

Originally posted by @Mason Moreland :

@Jay Hinrichs very true, can't/shouldn't use aerosolized herbicides! We have bigger herbicide concerns out here though, residential levels are small fry. We are completely surrounded by traditional row crop cotton (RoundUp, Dicamba/2, 4-D, and other herbicide resistant GMO cotton!) that gets sprayed frequently right up to the edges of the cities.

A lot of folks switching to organic/non-GMO cotton around here though. Higher fiber quality/higher $/lb and less chemical costs! 

where I work these days in the Willamette valley of OREGON HUGE ag area.. there are deed call outs that will describe ag activity and you cant stop or sue the Ag folks  :)  Golf courses are some of the worse but there are homes all around golf courses.