Which STATES to invest?

Which STATES to invest?

Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes

Hello BP, 

Simple question. Which neighborhoods are trending right now for rental properties? Can you put some zip codes below? Thank you

Im from california but am open to any market

8Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 364 votes
3y
Quote from @Masood Amin:
Quote from @Michael Glunk:

@Masood Amin What are your goals? It's hard to recommend a specific location without knowing what you are trying to accomplish? 

Example:

1. Are you just about cash flow?

2. Do you want a market that has a better chance than others on appreciation?

3. Why type of properties are you interested in? Single Family, Small Multifamily etc.

4. Are you looking for a long term, mid term or short term rental? Or some combination of those?

The rust belt can look great at first glance because of the cash flow potential, but can be weaker in other areas (I personally own in Michigan). Areas like the Rocky Mountains can do decent on cash flow and very well on depreciation, appreciation and amortization. (Speaking to long term rentals here.) Short term rentals can do great on all aspects including cash on cash. But of course will require a bit more work and higher management fees if using a PM. These things are all manageable. (Note: In the Rocky Mountain region I personally invest in Colorado and Montana.)


 1. Yes looking to cash flow

2. Yes looking for a market that will appreciate

3. Multi family

4. Preferably long term but I am open

Hey Masood! Have you considered trying your luck in the Ohio market? For Columbus, you would need to look for 2-4 units in order to cash flow. You can still find relatively turn key duplexes that cash flow here. But it is better if you can find a distressed property and force appreciate it. I can help you manage cosmetic to mid-size rehabs here in Columbus.

For Cleveland, you could find both 1-4 unit properties and cash flow well. it's more of a cash flowing city.

Turn key properties are definitely the easiest to manage, but I can introduce you to my network of people.

Hope this helps and if you're interested in exploring this market further, let's connect and discuss how I can assist you!


See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Masood Amin:

    Hello BP, 

    Simple question. Which neighborhoods are trending right now for rental properties? Can you put some zip codes below? Thank you

    Im from california but am open to any market


     Your home state or a state that is local to you.  Invest local.

    REI from a far has increased risks and involves more effort. No one will manage your property like you. Building and maintaining the team is tough enough to do local and is more challenging from a far.

    Good luck

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Masood, I am also in California.

    But I'm invested in Detroit. I have 12-doors there and continue to buy more.

    It's not as easy as targeting specific zip codes though. If you want to talk shop about that market shoot me a message. 

    Outside of my own investing I also help others get started there.

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    @Travis B.

    I’ll shoot you a message !

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 364 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Masood Amin:
    Quote from @Michael Glunk:

    @Masood Amin What are your goals? It's hard to recommend a specific location without knowing what you are trying to accomplish? 

    Example:

    1. Are you just about cash flow?

    2. Do you want a market that has a better chance than others on appreciation?

    3. Why type of properties are you interested in? Single Family, Small Multifamily etc.

    4. Are you looking for a long term, mid term or short term rental? Or some combination of those?

    The rust belt can look great at first glance because of the cash flow potential, but can be weaker in other areas (I personally own in Michigan). Areas like the Rocky Mountains can do decent on cash flow and very well on depreciation, appreciation and amortization. (Speaking to long term rentals here.) Short term rentals can do great on all aspects including cash on cash. But of course will require a bit more work and higher management fees if using a PM. These things are all manageable. (Note: In the Rocky Mountain region I personally invest in Colorado and Montana.)


     1. Yes looking to cash flow

    2. Yes looking for a market that will appreciate

    3. Multi family

    4. Preferably long term but I am open

    Hey Masood! Have you considered trying your luck in the Ohio market? For Columbus, you would need to look for 2-4 units in order to cash flow. You can still find relatively turn key duplexes that cash flow here. But it is better if you can find a distressed property and force appreciate it. I can help you manage cosmetic to mid-size rehabs here in Columbus.

    For Cleveland, you could find both 1-4 unit properties and cash flow well. it's more of a cash flowing city.

    Turn key properties are definitely the easiest to manage, but I can introduce you to my network of people.

    Hope this helps and if you're interested in exploring this market further, let's connect and discuss how I can assist you!


  • Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2023 · 70 posts · 62 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Masood Amin:

    Hello BP, 

    Simple question. Which neighborhoods are trending right now for rental properties? Can you put some zip codes below? Thank you

    Im from california but am open to any market


     Hey Masood, I'm an agent and investor here in Kansas City and I would love to chat with you about this market. I'll shoot you a message

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    top places to invest in my opinion at the moment for cash flow and/or appreciation are either: Detroit, MI, Cleveland, Oh, Upstate NY, or in the florida market. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Masood Amin:

    Hello BP, 

    Simple question. Which neighborhoods are trending right now for rental properties? Can you put some zip codes below? Thank you

    Im from california but am open to any market


    +1 for Columbus Ohio, lots of cash flow and appreciation here still! I'm still seeing 1% deals everyday on the MLS that are generating positive cash flow. I really like Columbus especially because there's a lot of catalysts for job and population growth still.... Nationwide, Wexner Medical, Intel, Honda, Amazon, etc. are all moving jobs to Columbus. Plus, it's the only city in the rust belt where the population is still growing (unlike Cleveland). I was able to help one of my real estate clients close on a deal that gets them 26% cash on cash return just a few weeks ago too! As a local investor and agent, I'm more than happy to help answer any questions you have.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    High cash flow markets like Detroit and Cleveland can be very enticing, just make sure you're buying in the right areas with the right PM and contractor. The right PM and contractor WILL make or break you there.

    More stable and growing areas like Columbus, OH are great for a cash flow and appreciation hybrid standpoint.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    Agree with others on Columbus. Born and raised there, the amount of population and job growth in the last 5-10 years is unbelievable. Large corporations like Intel and Amazon investing now means tons of appreciation growth in the future as well. I've heard in passing (don't quote me on this) that Intel alone could lead to as much as 30% rise in home prices in the surrounding east side suburbs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Luckily for us, Columbus as a whole has really been brought up, that being said we have A,B, and C areas, so there really isn't anywhere that I would say to stay away from. You could practically throw a dart at a Columbus map and it would hit somewhere that'll make a good investment for cashflow and appreciation.

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    As some have said, if its possible to buy where you are local then that is always the best option but if not then there are plenty of options in the midwest to start the search @Masood Amin

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Masood Amin
    Columbus OH is quite a landlord-friendly city in OH. I would narrow in on a market first, then focus on zip codes. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    @Masood Amin

    Consider the mid west! Great Cashflowing properties! Be mindful of the criminal activity in specific areas. There are sights you can use to gather this info.

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Masood Amin:

    Hello BP, 

    Simple question. Which neighborhoods are trending right now for rental properties? Can you put some zip codes below? Thank you

    Im from california but am open to any market


     Hey Masood,

    Kansas City's current market has lots of potential. I'd love to connect and discuss different options.

  • Linda LabbePro Member
    Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 709 posts · 262 votes
    3y

    I am in Ontario invest in Detroit and toledo  secret to both  is a great team on the ground. Love what we do love the people we work with and am more then willing to she what w do how and why with anyone who want to chat

  • Realtor · Member since 2023 · 177 posts · 41 votes
    3y

    Hey Masood! You might want to consider Southwest Florida in Cape Coral Area. Shoot me a message and let's talk more about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.