WallRX: Fill Those Wall Holes Easy -from the Shark Tank

WallRX: Fill Those Wall Holes Easy -from the Shark Tank

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Ok - I just saw this product on the Shark Tank and thought is was absolutely brilliant (as did the sharks, as seen by the feeding frenzy to back the company): WallRX

You can watch a demo here

Basically, it is a product that lets you fill wall holes up to 4 inches in just seconds. I know this is one for every landlords' toolkit.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 65 votes
12y

Or, prep the hole into a small square one with a box knife (no need to go stud to stud), then do a California patch.

I learned this years ago out of necessity as a landlord. Basically, just take a ruler and make a square around the offending hole making sure it stays inside the borders of the newly drawn square, then, cut a new scrap piece of drywall approximately 1" larger on all sides, then, with the paper side down, slice off the same 1" of the gypsum material ONLY thereby leaving the backing paper. The effect of this should make the actual gypsum product nearly exactly the same size as your newly prepped, square hole. Place the California patch in the hole, with the approx 1" of the backing paper overlapping the hole, then use drywall mud to "seal" in the patch.

Either approach will take 2-3 steps to do properly (read that as feathering the patch to eliminate noticeably high spots), then you still have to texture match, then paint.

I do like that new product, but to think that patch could be done that easily is a bit mis-leading to me.

Enjoy!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Yeap...I saw that on Shark Tank last night too. Cool product. The doctor almost blew it trying to get two sharks to invest together though ;-)

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I love the video ... "First we need a hole" ... WHAP!

  • Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 65 votes
    12y

    Or, prep the hole into a small square one with a box knife (no need to go stud to stud), then do a California patch.

    I learned this years ago out of necessity as a landlord. Basically, just take a ruler and make a square around the offending hole making sure it stays inside the borders of the newly drawn square, then, cut a new scrap piece of drywall approximately 1" larger on all sides, then, with the paper side down, slice off the same 1" of the gypsum material ONLY thereby leaving the backing paper. The effect of this should make the actual gypsum product nearly exactly the same size as your newly prepped, square hole. Place the California patch in the hole, with the approx 1" of the backing paper overlapping the hole, then use drywall mud to "seal" in the patch.

    Either approach will take 2-3 steps to do properly (read that as feathering the patch to eliminate noticeably high spots), then you still have to texture match, then paint.

    I do like that new product, but to think that patch could be done that easily is a bit mis-leading to me.

    Enjoy!

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I saw this on Shark Tank too. (Love that show). I see a couple drawbacks. It takes 48 hours to cure. If you use 5 minute mud for a small patch, you can fix it a lot faster. I'm also not sure how it will hold up. Anytime I've done a thick patch like that, it ends up cracking. I think you need several light coats of mud to do it right. Maybe this product will work. We will see.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    California Patch as @Bryan Scott mentioned is far better and my preferred method. The best thing about the california patch is you can do any size hole.

    I think this product is a looser for the investor. There will not be a large enough demand for the product and the product will be lost in a sea of other products in the home box stores. The will sell some, but not enough to warrant the investment.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 119 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    I saw this last night. Pretty good idea. I just wonder if it actually works and holds up.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 46 votes
    12y

    My quality standards must be too high, in the video she says 'looks great to me', and I'm thinking 'it looks like crap!'. Give me 5 minute mud and I'll do it right.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    I also noticed from the split second side view the patch seemed excessively thick, which means a large bump in the wall. If you have the skills to fix that bump then you don't need the product to begin with.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bryan Scott If you use some type of template (a glass, a bowl, a block of wood, etc.) it makes it much easier to get the exact fit on both pieces. Simply use your template, draw a circle or square around the original hole, then use the same template on your drywall (if you want 1" difference go ahead and draw that out from the original markings) then tape, mud and finish.

    Note: the same technique can be used for vinyl on floors, carpet, etc. Much easier than trying to eye it and get it to match!

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    48 Hours!!!???? The "California Patch" works much better, is more secure, and using fast drying drywall compound can be done in about an hour when you get good at it. Most importantly is costs close to nothing if you have leftover drywall.

    See a video on how to perform a "California Patch" by clicking on either name for it.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @David Egger:
    My quality standards must be too high, in the video she says 'looks great to me', and I'm thinking 'it looks like crap!'. Give me 5 minute mud and I'll do it right.

    I agree with this. I am not impressed.

    You still have to texture and paint to make it look good."wait 48 hours to cure"= Fail! HD and Lowes sell small fiber mesh covered 0.005" thick steel squares for $3 or so specifically made for that type of hole patch already that do the same thing as that specialty product. I am guessing the shark tank investors don't spend a lot of time in home improvement stores.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.