Getting used to the Rental Property Calculator KC MO

Getting used to the Rental Property Calculator KC MO

Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 10 votes

Hi friends!

I’ve been running some numbers and the added really nicely.

I am an out of state investor in Kansas City MO, and I am based in North Hollywood, CA.

I look at couple properties in ZIP 64130 I heard it’s a C class area.

I wanted to hear your thoughts about the numbers i put together and if you familiar with the area you can share some Pro and Cons.

Thank you fir hanging out here ! 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
2y

That region will require some risk mitigation, and would be better suited for a local flipper specializing in those types of properties vs buy and hold OOS IMO. 

I generally look for those regions between A/B and C/D markets. I.E. if you look a few blocks South you hit Marlborough (D market). Directly West of that is Waldo. In BETWEEN Waldo an Marlborough there are currently two quads listed on Campbell. I am going to go check them out for an OOS investor this weekend.

This specific area is primarily large apartment complexes and small multis, with B class SFR subdivisions directly North of that. Waldo Heights Apartments is adjacent to these currently listed quads. It is owned by Landmark Realty, a large San Fran based owner that owns ~6,000 units. This gives additional reassurance that this specific 'fringe' region between Waldo and Marlborough is a sound area to invest IMO. particularly in the long term.

Main issue with the Quads is price: they started at $550 asking in September of last year. They dropped the price 25k 3 times, with it sitting at $475k since January (4 months ago).

Ideally, these 'fringe' regions allow investors to acquire properties at C class prices, but with A/B class tenants/rent values. These regions are where I typically suggest looking if investors main goals are maximizing Cash flow/Cap rate/ COC return

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    In general the further west you go in that zip code the class location improves. There are certain parts of that zip code I would consider a D or D- and in those cases it would be block by block specific. Hope that helps!

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Thank you Alex its helpful information .

    I’ll do some extra research regards the area, I’m not looking to own in D or D- 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
    2y

    That region will require some risk mitigation, and would be better suited for a local flipper specializing in those types of properties vs buy and hold OOS IMO. 

    I generally look for those regions between A/B and C/D markets. I.E. if you look a few blocks South you hit Marlborough (D market). Directly West of that is Waldo. In BETWEEN Waldo an Marlborough there are currently two quads listed on Campbell. I am going to go check them out for an OOS investor this weekend.

    This specific area is primarily large apartment complexes and small multis, with B class SFR subdivisions directly North of that. Waldo Heights Apartments is adjacent to these currently listed quads. It is owned by Landmark Realty, a large San Fran based owner that owns ~6,000 units. This gives additional reassurance that this specific 'fringe' region between Waldo and Marlborough is a sound area to invest IMO. particularly in the long term.

    Main issue with the Quads is price: they started at $550 asking in September of last year. They dropped the price 25k 3 times, with it sitting at $475k since January (4 months ago).

    Ideally, these 'fringe' regions allow investors to acquire properties at C class prices, but with A/B class tenants/rent values. These regions are where I typically suggest looking if investors main goals are maximizing Cash flow/Cap rate/ COC return

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    2y

    I appreciate that breakdown @Milton Chamberlain. One of our properties is in Marlborough and it has been a pain. We’re investing in KC from out of state and would like to get into the multi family space down the road. Good to know about this little pocket for multifamilies. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.