MBA, practical to a real estate professional or not?

MBA, practical to a real estate professional or not?

Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes

I have long been weighing the option of acquiring an MBA as it seems to be the most practical real world degree for someone developing their business acumen and career. As a real estate agent and investor is this required obviously not, but I wonder if anyone can share success stories in regard to an MBA within the real estate world. Has it made a major difference in your business?

Experience is king I'm well aware but...

Is it worth getting? Is the knowledge helpful in this space, any particular specialization, entrepreneurship focus... etc? Any advice on this topic?

Thank you for sharing!

4Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2y

where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

but certainly cant hurt .. 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    if you have mba, you better pursue a management position in Nvidia, Microsoft, Blackrock, or a consulting management company.

    There's not big money to make in RE using a professional degree. MBA is more useful for a career or passionate corporate leadership.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Matthew Gentile

    Honestly no. I reviewed during covid a masters in real estate vs a MBA and knowing I wanted to be in real estate I went the masters route which was 1/3 the price of the MBA.

    Mostly same courses except for some business classes which honestly I did not think I needed.

    I would tell people that if you are gonna spend !20k for education I would say go get a masters in real estate. While I have been in real estate almost 30 years now, a lot of the classes were refreshers but some still added value - but for someone with little experience I would find it as gold

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

    MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

    but certainly cant hurt .. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Matthew Gentile

    Honestly no. I reviewed during covid a masters in real estate vs a MBA and knowing I wanted to be in real estate I went the masters route which was 1/3 the price of the MBA.

    Mostly same courses except for some business classes which honestly I did not think I needed.

    I would tell people that if you are gonna spend !20k for education I would say go get a masters in real estate. While I have been in real estate almost 30 years now, a lot of the classes were refreshers but some still added value - but for someone with little experience I would find it as gold

     @Chris Seveney

    Thank you Chris,

    I actually never thought to get a degree in real estate, can't say I knew that was a route being totally honest. I'm going to take a serious look into that. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Matthew Gentile

    Honestly no. I reviewed during covid a masters in real estate vs a MBA and knowing I wanted to be in real estate I went the masters route which was 1/3 the price of the MBA.

    Mostly same courses except for some business classes which honestly I did not think I needed.

    I would tell people that if you are gonna spend !20k for education I would say go get a masters in real estate. While I have been in real estate almost 30 years now, a lot of the classes were refreshers but some still added value - but for someone with little experience I would find it as gold

     @Chris Seveney

    Thank you Chris,

    I actually never thought to get a degree in real estate, can't say I knew that was a route being totally honest. I'm going to take a serious look into that. 


    there is add ons to real estate licenses of course..  CR  Pm  working with foriegn investors you can attend those class and get those credentials to add to your sig line.. CCIM etc.
  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

    MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

    but certainly cant hurt .. 

     Thanks Jay,

    I guess the question becomes following @Chris Seveney's comment, which of the two would have a higher weighting in your opinion. Like Chris said I imagine there is some crossover I wonder which one carries the better representation or maybe they are equally weighted? I suppose it would depends on your specialty and role in your business. 

    I'd lean toward believing a Masters in Real Estate would serve agency well and an MBA more on the investor side but that's just top of my head thinking with nothing to back that up.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

    MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

    but certainly cant hurt .. 

     Thanks Jay,

    I guess the question becomes following @Chris Seveney's comment, which of the two would have a higher weighting in your opinion. Like Chris said I imagine there is some crossover I wonder which one carries the better representation or maybe they are equally weighted? I suppose it would depends on your specialty and role in your business. 

    I'd lean toward believing a Masters in Real Estate would serve agency well and an MBA more on the investor side but that's just top of my head thinking with nothing to back that up.


     I think with the MBA you can use that in your sig.. like the other one I dont know if U can or what it would be called.. Of course in our bizz nothing trumps experience.. myself I never attended collage. But I got my RE license at 18 and brokers at 20.. when I needed it I got my Mortgage bankers license as well.. And of course my contractors license.. I needed all of them  RE license to sell RE  Mortgage to do private loans in the states that require it.. and contractors to build the homes I am building and then on top of that I have a developers license in Oregon ( no test required just a money grab And when I was figuring out what I wanted to do I got my pilots license around 20 too.. as I really wanted to be an airline pilot.. but alas in those days it was very hard to get hired not like today. So just had to fullfil my flying desires personally and pay to fly instead of getting paid to fly. 

    this is what I love about RE you get paid to learn and do deals. Its not an easy bizz for sure and there of course are a lot of ups and downs.. .but all in all it does allow someone like me to be self employed my entire life.. And you see so many on BP that cant wait to quit their jobs.. :)  

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

    MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

    but certainly cant hurt .. 

     Thanks Jay,

    I guess the question becomes following @Chris Seveney's comment, which of the two would have a higher weighting in your opinion. Like Chris said I imagine there is some crossover I wonder which one carries the better representation or maybe they are equally weighted? I suppose it would depends on your specialty and role in your business. 

    I'd lean toward believing a Masters in Real Estate would serve agency well and an MBA more on the investor side but that's just top of my head thinking with nothing to back that up.


     I think with the MBA you can use that in your sig.. like the other one I dont know if U can or what it would be called.. Of course in our bizz nothing trumps experience.. myself I never attended collage. But I got my RE license at 18 and brokers at 20.. when I needed it I got my Mortgage bankers license as well.. And of course my contractors license.. I needed all of them  RE license to sell RE  Mortgage to do private loans in the states that require it.. and contractors to build the homes I am building and then on top of that I have a developers license in Oregon ( no test required just a money grab And when I was figuring out what I wanted to do I got my pilots license around 20 too.. as I really wanted to be an airline pilot.. but alas in those days it was very hard to get hired not like today. So just had to fullfil my flying desires personally and pay to fly instead of getting paid to fly. 

    this is what I love about RE you get paid to learn and do deals. Its not an easy bizz for sure and there of course are a lot of ups and downs.. .but all in all it does allow someone like me to be self employed my entire life.. And you see so many on BP that cant wait to quit their jobs.. :)  


     Couldn't agree more and that's a hell of a route I love to see that. Wish I had the gumption to do that when I was 20. Starting at 27 not a bad second effort though. Funny you mention the pilots license, for a long time I wanted to get my pilots license to fly helicopters, never ended up doing it but still crosses my mind every now and then. 

    I love deal flow, its such an exciting atmosphere to be in. Definitely going to consider an advanced degree but need to do more research on it. 

    Thanks for the advice Jay

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    where I do think it helps is if your raising money from folks and or with banks..

    MBA gives some credibility for sure.. Does it make you a better agent dont know about that

    but certainly cant hurt .. 

     Thanks Jay,

    I guess the question becomes following @Chris Seveney's comment, which of the two would have a higher weighting in your opinion. Like Chris said I imagine there is some crossover I wonder which one carries the better representation or maybe they are equally weighted? I suppose it would depends on your specialty and role in your business. 

    I'd lean toward believing a Masters in Real Estate would serve agency well and an MBA more on the investor side but that's just top of my head thinking with nothing to back that up.


     I think with the MBA you can use that in your sig.. like the other one I dont know if U can or what it would be called.. Of course in our bizz nothing trumps experience.. myself I never attended collage. But I got my RE license at 18 and brokers at 20.. when I needed it I got my Mortgage bankers license as well.. And of course my contractors license.. I needed all of them  RE license to sell RE  Mortgage to do private loans in the states that require it.. and contractors to build the homes I am building and then on top of that I have a developers license in Oregon ( no test required just a money grab And when I was figuring out what I wanted to do I got my pilots license around 20 too.. as I really wanted to be an airline pilot.. but alas in those days it was very hard to get hired not like today. So just had to fullfil my flying desires personally and pay to fly instead of getting paid to fly. 

    this is what I love about RE you get paid to learn and do deals. Its not an easy bizz for sure and there of course are a lot of ups and downs.. .but all in all it does allow someone like me to be self employed my entire life.. And you see so many on BP that cant wait to quit their jobs.. :)  


     Couldn't agree more and that's a hell of a route I love to see that. Wish I had the gumption to do that when I was 20. Starting at 27 not a bad second effort though. Funny you mention the pilots license, for a long time I wanted to get my pilots license to fly helicopters, never ended up doing it but still crosses my mind every now and then. 

    I love deal flow, its such an exciting atmosphere to be in. Definitely going to consider an advanced degree but need to do more research on it. 

    Thanks for the advice Jay


    not really giving you any advice just stating what I personally did in my career which is winding down. 
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Matthew Gentile

    Honestly no. I reviewed during covid a masters in real estate vs a MBA and knowing I wanted to be in real estate I went the masters route which was 1/3 the price of the MBA.

    Mostly same courses except for some business classes which honestly I did not think I needed.

    I would tell people that if you are gonna spend !20k for education I would say go get a masters in real estate. While I have been in real estate almost 30 years now, a lot of the classes were refreshers but some still added value - but for someone with little experience I would find it as gold

     @Chris Seveney

    Thank you Chris,

    I actually never thought to get a degree in real estate, can't say I knew that was a route being totally honest. I'm going to take a serious look into that. 


     It really depends also on "what you want". For example, I had 20+ years of experience and was bored honestly and was like "what can I do". Where it helped me was I wanted to launch a large fund, and taking some finance courses and accounting courses added to the nuances as well as several of my professors had managed funds. My thesis was raising $50M to start a mortgage note fund, so that was basically a good start to my business plan.

    What I really liked if I was new was the accounting, the risk/return correlation on single assets and on a portfolio, along with some ethics and law courses which were helpful.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    It's part of the landscape of the W 2 wage slave.

    There are people in here who could take that money you would pay to some university, and turn it into a nice fortune in a reasonable amount of time.

    There are no university classes that will teach you how to do that.

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    It's part of the landscape of the W 2 wage slave.

    There are people in here who could take that money you would pay to some university, and turn it into a nice fortune in a reasonable amount of time.

    There are no university classes that will teach you how to do that.

    Good Luck!

    @Scott Mac

     Definitely agree with you. The corporate drone life is heinously bad these days. I'm slowly removing myself from it but my current situation warrants a slow release. The conditioning of "get a degree, get a job and work 40 years and shut up" was a strong reality in my upbringing. Fighting against it has been difficult but I've got a wholesaling business started, some long-term investments working well and a beautiful wife now. So I won't complain! 

    Wish my pace was faster but I'm a slave to the paycheck, haven't quite broken that chain in my head completely yet. 

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I'm all for college eduation, contrary to the crowds, I believe the experience prepares you for adulting. I run in to all kinds of newbies who skipped college to get in to real estate and they have no idea how to communicate with adults or get what they want. That's what college is for and I think everyone should go. 

    That being said, I have a teaching degree which from a content perspective, gives me no advantage at all, but I am doing just fine. 

    Getting an MBA would not help me one bit, so I'd say that's probably a waste of time, money and energy. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Corby Goade:

    I'm all for college eduation, contrary to the crowds, I believe the experience prepares you for adulting. I run in to all kinds of newbies who skipped college to get in to real estate and they have no idea how to communicate with adults or get what they want. That's what college is for and I think everyone should go. 

    That being said, I have a teaching degree which from a content perspective, gives me no advantage at all, but I am doing just fine. 

    Getting an MBA would not help me one bit, so I'd say that's probably a waste of time, money and energy. 

    It's an interesting dilemma, on the one hand my investing side, I run everything on a 2-5 year time frame absolutely no problem waiting for investments to work over the long-term with no lost sleep. "Favorite holding period is forever" -Buffett
    On the other hand I'm manic when it comes to business, always looking for the next thing, how to improve the current situation. When I do something new its 150% or not at all. Which fits the entrepreneurial desire. 
    Big action in business is typically rewarded, where infrequent determined convictions in investing yields high reward. It seems to be a healthy mix of the two when it comes to real estate as a business and as an investment. Which is why I'm drawn to real estate. I'll probably end up doing the MBA some point down the line to benefit my business desire, if the opportunity is right.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Corby Goade:

    I'm all for college eduation, contrary to the crowds, I believe the experience prepares you for adulting. I run in to all kinds of newbies who skipped college to get in to real estate and they have no idea how to communicate with adults or get what they want. That's what college is for and I think everyone should go. 

    That being said, I have a teaching degree which from a content perspective, gives me no advantage at all, but I am doing just fine. 

    Getting an MBA would not help me one bit, so I'd say that's probably a waste of time, money and energy. 

    Even though I personally did not go to Collage I encouraged my children to so both of my kids went and it was a great experience.. My daughter is WAY up the ladder at Intel really enjoys her job and is financially set at early 40s.. She is a Dave Ramsy fan and degree in economics . My son self employed in the building trades and does well and Collage definitely helped him with setting up his construction business.

    @Matthew Gentile  one main factor to remember Income is critical in this business to obtain financing of any magnitude and a stable well paying W 2 allows you to obtain debt for your RE purchases plus if you have health bene's etc that's critical as your family grows. So its a fine line on how to balance those things and grow whatever business you want to grow.. Be it in RE or buying some other type of business.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    It's part of the landscape of the W 2 wage slave.

    There are people in here who could take that money you would pay to some university, and turn it into a nice fortune in a reasonable amount of time.

    There are no university classes that will teach you how to do that.

    Good Luck!

    @Scott Mac

     Definitely agree with you. The corporate drone life is heinously bad these days. I'm slowly removing myself from it but my current situation warrants a slow release. The conditioning of "get a degree, get a job and work 40 years and shut up" was a strong reality in my upbringing. Fighting against it has been difficult but I've got a wholesaling business started, some long-term investments working well and a beautiful wife now. So I won't complain! 

    Wish my pace was faster but I'm a slave to the paycheck, haven't quite broken that chain in my head completely yet. 


     I don't think there's issue with corporate life. American corporation lifestyle is already very relaxed compared to the world standard.

    The bigger issue that I see is that the pie for residential real estate, is not that big enough, except if you want to work for big developer. I think MBA makes more sense in CRE, but I bet they're not hiring right now due to the crisis that we have right now.

    The sector is so minuscule, so I'd guess the MBA is more useful if used in different sectors, like management consulting, for example. Just IMO.

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 77 posts · 105 votes
    2y

    I have an MBA and I work in Corporate Real Estate. It's helped me tremendously... just the case studies you cover alone are helpful in the corporate work environment. The only people who have ever told me that an MBA was a waste of time and money are the ones who never pursued one (I'm not exaggerating when I say that).

    However I didn't pursue my MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder. I was feeling stuck at the time and needed inspiration to help me "find my calling." My grad school experience did just that for me. My experience has also beneffited me as I embark on my personal real estate investment journey as well. My soft skills and ability to communicate and strategize on the fly have increased in ways I didn't think possible for me.

    So yeah, 100% worth it if you can make it happen, but like anything else in life, you will only get out of it what you put it. Good luck!!

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Matthew Gentile I have a business degree from an elite university. At the time I also took some graduate business courses. I would not say anything about it has helped with my real estate.

    I have always had the option of getting a graduate degree but never felt the expense would justify what little benefit I would receive.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Matthew Gentile I have a business degree from an elite university. At the time I also took some graduate business courses. I would not say anything about it has helped with my real estate.

    I have always had the option of getting a graduate degree but never felt the expense would justify what little benefit I would receive.


     MBA was "hot" back in 80s or 90s. 

    But these days, looking at various Silicon Valley tech companies, most leadership positions are still held by those with master's degrees, but mostly master's in particular fields, such as Master's in Engineering in a reputable university.  Even then, the corporate ladder is usually pursued after promotion with career aspirations in management. 

    I've checked the biggest employer is still a company like McKinsey, Deloitte or BCG. I checked DR Horton is not even looking for an MBA. Google employed 400-ish MBA.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Erica Calella:

    I have an MBA and I work in Corporate Real Estate. It's helped me tremendously... just the case studies you cover alone are helpful in the corporate work environment. The only people who have ever told me that an MBA was a waste of time and money are the ones who never pursued one (I'm not exaggerating when I say that).

    However I didn't pursue my MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder. I was feeling stuck at the time and needed inspiration to help me "find my calling." My grad school experience did just that for me. My experience has also beneffited me as I embark on my personal real estate investment journey as well. My soft skills and ability to communicate and strategize on the fly have increased in ways I didn't think possible for me.

    So yeah, 100% worth it if you can make it happen, but like anything else in life, you will only get out of it what you put it. Good luck!!


     Erica, that was my sentiment as well. 

    I agree with everyone on pros and cons for sure. It's the only education I've been told is worth getting when conducting business in a W2 or entrepreneur. It opens up some doors and I think the cost with some online programs is not outrageous. I personally feel like it will only aid me and even if not at baseline the cost is off set by the open doors in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your story.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Matthew Gentile I have a business degree from an elite university. At the time I also took some graduate business courses. I would not say anything about it has helped with my real estate.

    I have always had the option of getting a graduate degree but never felt the expense would justify what little benefit I would receive.


     Its tough because my background is biochemistry, where the MBA moves me more in line into a business direction if anything on paper which is valued by most institutions so if I wanted to stay corporate ladder I think it is justified. But even if not, the real world application of understanding business may be of help in real estate style business albeit not required by any stretch. Which I totally understand that flip side. It is not minimal in cost but I think it can help in most cases. 

    Again experience is king. Which I'm acquiring as I figure this all out! Thanks for sharing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 52 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Matthew Gentile I have a business degree from an elite university. At the time I also took some graduate business courses. I would not say anything about it has helped with my real estate.

    I have always had the option of getting a graduate degree but never felt the expense would justify what little benefit I would receive.


     MBA was "hot" back in 80s or 90s. 

    But these days, looking at various Silicon Valley tech companies, most leadership positions are still held by those with master's degrees, but mostly master's in particular fields, such as Master's in Engineering in a reputable university.  Even then, the corporate ladder is usually pursued after promotion with career aspirations in management. 

    I've checked the biggest employer is still a company like McKinsey, Deloitte or BCG. I checked DR Horton is not even looking for an MBA. Google employed 400-ish MBA.


     I agree it was definitely extremely popular back then for moving up the ladder. I think that still holds true even if to a much lesser extent. But the discussion is definitely open, I think Erica said it best, you get out what you put in. The degree won't do the work you have to use it. 

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 77 posts · 105 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Erica Calella:

    I have an MBA and I work in Corporate Real Estate. It's helped me tremendously... just the case studies you cover alone are helpful in the corporate work environment. The only people who have ever told me that an MBA was a waste of time and money are the ones who never pursued one (I'm not exaggerating when I say that).

    However I didn't pursue my MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder. I was feeling stuck at the time and needed inspiration to help me "find my calling." My grad school experience did just that for me. My experience has also beneffited me as I embark on my personal real estate investment journey as well. My soft skills and ability to communicate and strategize on the fly have increased in ways I didn't think possible for me.

    So yeah, 100% worth it if you can make it happen, but like anything else in life, you will only get out of it what you put it. Good luck!!


     Erica, that was my sentiment as well. 

    I agree with everyone on pros and cons for sure. It's the only education I've been told is worth getting when conducting business in a W2 or entrepreneur. It opens up some doors and I think the cost with some online programs is not outrageous. I personally feel like it will only aid me and even if not at baseline the cost is off set by the open doors in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your story.

    You're welcome!! As I read my post after sharing it, I realized that one thing my graduate degree did NOT help improve is my grammar.. haha :) 
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Erica Calella:
    Quote from @Matthew Gentile:
    Quote from @Erica Calella:

    I have an MBA and I work in Corporate Real Estate. It's helped me tremendously... just the case studies you cover alone are helpful in the corporate work environment. The only people who have ever told me that an MBA was a waste of time and money are the ones who never pursued one (I'm not exaggerating when I say that).

    However I didn't pursue my MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder. I was feeling stuck at the time and needed inspiration to help me "find my calling." My grad school experience did just that for me. My experience has also beneffited me as I embark on my personal real estate investment journey as well. My soft skills and ability to communicate and strategize on the fly have increased in ways I didn't think possible for me.

    So yeah, 100% worth it if you can make it happen, but like anything else in life, you will only get out of it what you put it. Good luck!!


     Erica, that was my sentiment as well. 

    I agree with everyone on pros and cons for sure. It's the only education I've been told is worth getting when conducting business in a W2 or entrepreneur. It opens up some doors and I think the cost with some online programs is not outrageous. I personally feel like it will only aid me and even if not at baseline the cost is off set by the open doors in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your story.

    You're welcome!! As I read my post after sharing it, I realized that one thing my graduate degree did NOT help improve is my grammar.. haha :) 

     you have AI grammarly for that, no big deal lol

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    2y

    I was in a similar enough position, so I thought I would weigh in. A few years ago I was looking into Masters in RE development programs, for knowledge and for a credential that could be used to work under/partner with an existing developer. There were no local programs, all would be online. 

    I was ultimately swayed by people in my orbit to get an Executive MBA (no specializations, canned program), for the network and for the serendipitous possibilities that could come from my fellow students and the professors. I went to the best school available locally, due to familial obligations. 

    I finished a year ago, and I was very critical of the quality of the content, given the cost. Did I learn anything earth shattering, no. I had a Finance undergrad, a grad cert in RE Investment, and had studied business for twenty years post undergrad. 

    I did get introduced to a local group of mostly alumni that is focused on the buying and growing of existing businesses, which I believe will be more valuable than the time and cost of the degree. Most of the projects that I am working on right now are a result of that group and I am actively searching for an acquisition target in a RE related industry. 

    Would I be where I am without it, I can't say that. Maybe I would have been somewhere equally interesting if I had gotten the Masters in RE Development, which I still might do someday, given enough free time. 

    Does anyone that I meet say "Oh, you have an MBA?", no. But they do say "Oh, you went to Case?", (for what that is worth). And where I am headed I think that the credentialing and clout that carries locally is beneficial, though definitely not required. You could bootstrap the education through self study and reach a similar network otherwise, but I made a call and saw it through.

    If you are not in a corporate environment, and you are paying for it yourself, the ROI is going to be what you make of it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.