Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 7 votes
I have 320K in a 1031 exchange right now. This came from the sale of an income producing duplex in Atlanta, GA.
My experience is in LTR here in Atlanta, and STR up in the Smoky Mountains. I have also done a couple of rehab and new construction projects. In addition to these asset classes, I've also been looking into small mobile home parks and some small commercial deals. I've looked at a ton of properties, but so far I am not all that impressed with anything I'm seeing.
Ideally, I'm looking for something not too far from Atlanta, GA, though I am open to other markets if the right deal comes along. I'm wide open to ideas, and I always like a little value-add in the mix. I'm looking for your best creative investment brainstorms given the current market conditions.
So my question -- if you had 320K, how would you invest it right now?
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
If I had $320k, I'd invest in Nevada (Reno or Las Vegas) but that's too far away for you. I'd stay local (within a 2 hour drive) of Atlanta, maybe multi-family.
Maybe commercial RE with NNN leases (tenant pays property tax, insurance and repairs). This would appeal to me not having to deal with residential tenants and all the issues but I don't have enough capital to buy commercial RE. I know a California investor who is buying fast food restaurants, coffee shops and medical offices in the Midwest and South. There's probably a lot more to NNN but could be worth investigating.
Real Estate Agent · Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 8 votes
1y
Man, thats really tough to say Josh! I dont have that kind of capital on hand currently, but if I did I would imagine I would want to invest it in my area to multi-family long term rentals. We are close to a military base and tons of Universities around the area so thats probably where I would focus most of my attention. Obviously, this is area specific so ATL may be a completely difference situation. Best of luck to you!
An unserious answer: leverage up to your ears with OTM REIT call options with zero regard for risk. An actual answer with some bias: ATL is a highly competitive already stabilized investor real estate market, research some smaller pre-stablized markets (bias incoming) like Birmingham, AL that you can leverage $320k into a dozen SFH's or (more bias incoming) a medium self storage facility on the outskirts of a large market (aim for over 150 units min.)
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
If I had $320k, I'd invest in Nevada (Reno or Las Vegas) but that's too far away for you. I'd stay local (within a 2 hour drive) of Atlanta, maybe multi-family.
Maybe commercial RE with NNN leases (tenant pays property tax, insurance and repairs). This would appeal to me not having to deal with residential tenants and all the issues but I don't have enough capital to buy commercial RE. I know a California investor who is buying fast food restaurants, coffee shops and medical offices in the Midwest and South. There's probably a lot more to NNN but could be worth investigating.